Kawa or Koh. on a 36 to 48" wb

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by soccer coach, Sep 16, 2002.

1. soccer coach

soccer coach LawnSite Member
    from midwest

I have done a looked on the site for info but mainly find info on the bigger engines. I have always had Kaw. in the past as well as my Dad but thought I would see if the Koh. had more low end.

2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The kawi's make more torque.

3. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

If your looking for a Gear drive check out the new Gravely Pro G models (2002 year) 13hp v twin Kaw, I just picked a 36" one up for 2000.00
    with mulching kit, they are built like tanks.

Dan the lawn care man:)

4. soccer coach

from midwest

Gravely is built like a tank. The only problem is the dealer and unless they have changed from pistol grips that is an automatic no sale for me. My Dr. thinks that style of control causes alot of the forearm trouble with the lawn guys that go to him.

5. Dan1944

Dan1944 LawnSite Member

No argument from me about the grips, I only will use it about 2-3 hrs a week tops, I could not turn done the price, I have 2 dealers within 25 miles from me. I believe they will make a change on the 2003 models from pistol grips. I looked at a toro, but could not match this price and it had a 12.5 Briggs, I will take in order a kaw, koh and as a last choice a briggs.

Dan the lawn care man

:D

6. soccer coach

from midwest

If they change from pistol grips I'm going to look very hard even thought my dealer is a joke. He does good work it's just we have some bad blood over another machine. He is great guy until you bring in a warranty claim. Dad and I are done with him but maybe I could buy out of state and save the tax:D After all if he won't warranty anything anyway it won't matter who I buy from. I don't understand the manufactures letting some of these guys represent the product line the way they do.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

The air cleaners on Kawasakis leave a lot to be desired. Enginaire (Enginaire Kohler filter page - click here) makes a sweet housing for the 11 to 15 horse Kohler engines. Until Kawasaki gets their act together and makes a decent air cleaner I'm not buying anymore engines from them.

8. lawnkid

lawnkid LawnSite Senior Member

If the pistol grips are a problem, then I'd look into a Hustler hydro, an Exmark ECS, or a Great Dane Scamper. All are good machines and you should consider.

9. Lance L

Lance L LawnSite Senior Member

the ecs controls are SOOOO easy on the hands(on a hydro atleast)

10. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

ECS is awesome. I like them alot. For the engine question, I would say Kawi. They run smoother (less vibration) are a little easier to start (so I've heard) and they put out more torque. I looked at a Toro 36" that is 2 years old with a 15 Kohler that was a single cylinder. Don't know if I'd want a single cylinder. That was an older model, so I don't know if they still make a single anymore.