Kawa or Kohler engine on Lazer ZTR?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bassman, Jan 19, 2000.

1. Bassman

Bassman LawnSite Senior Member

Leaning towards a Lazer Z HP (48&quot;) for first ZTR. Which engine would be the most reliable. Kawasaki V-Twin 19 HP or Kohler Command Pro 18 H.P.? Thanks for suggestions and reasons why. <br>

2. drturf

drturf Guest

well i like the kawy's in fact just bought a new HP48 last week with the 19hp kawy

3. bdemir

bdemir LawnSite Senior Member

Well id go with the kawasaki but ive heard good things about the kohler. the kaw is more quiet and runs a little smoother in my opinion. The quality is something i do not enough experience with. But from what ive heard and read the kohler holds up well and i s easy to get parts for.

4. Lazer

Lazer LawnSite Bronze Member

Not even a decision with those choices. I've got a few Kaw 19's. I'd buy another one in a heartbeat. Our experience has been far better than that with the Kohlers.

5. drturf

drturf Guest

AMEN!! to that lazer

6. Cannonturf

Cannonturf LawnSite Member

Kawasaki is a much better engine!<br>Dont sing the song of the kohlers BLUES!

7. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I had a 92John deere 420 20hp kohler. The engine lasted 2600 hrs with No repairs. I hope my Lazer last longer than that.But that was very good. I think anyone can a lemon when you buy anything. You can't just generalise every peice of equipment because you had a bad experience.

8. Lazer

Charles, that is true.<p>But, when you've owned over 20 of them, can you start to generalize?<p>The only reason I kept buying Kohlers is because that was the only engine eXmark offered in the model I wanted.<p>My buddy got so sick of Kohlers, he ordered in 4 eXmarks without engines and put on 20hp Hondas. (which are pretty nice, too)<br>

9. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I've had good and bad experiences with Kohler. I had a CV-22 that was wonderful until the warranty expired. Then it was 3 ignition modules, valve guides, valves, etc. Just a lemon. I have CV-22 still running with over a 1000 hrs and we never add any oil between changes(every 30-40 hrs). So go figure. Obviously Kohler makes good engines, because they outsell everyone else combined. It is obvious, though, that if you can possibly get a liquid cooled motor, that is your best bet. They run so much cooler that their lifespan usually triples an air cooled engine. I've got two 3 cylinder Kubotas on my grasshoppers and they are sweet running engines. My thoughts, Lynn Gorrell

10. Lazer

The problems stated with your Kohler are standard. I've owned dozens and know what the units in my local dealer were in for. UPS could be profitable just delivering &quot;SAM&quot; modules. We replaced an average of 1 per unit/per year. That's a lot of ingnition modules.<p>Now as far as Kohler outselling all their competition combined? In what size/configuration range? More air-cooled engines than Briggs?<p>Anyway, I agree about the liquid cooled. It'll be interesting to see how the Kohler V-shaft liquid will do on mowers.