Kawasaki 13.5 HP question.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Lksd Lawn, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Lksd Lawn

Lksd Lawn LawnSite Member
    from Erie Pa

My Kaw is not running right. I thought it was a ignition coil as I pulled the spark wire off and it died out which would make me think it is a ignition coil. I had a new one and put it in and it still does the same thing, it dies out when I pull the plug it dies out but if I pull the plug to the other side it stays running. Seems to be an electrical problem to me????

I changed the ignition coil off of one of my other engines (same engine) and it ran fine on the other engine so I am sure my ignition coils are good,

Thoughts?

I hope I explained this enough.

It ran fine and then I started it up and the above problem started occuring, no indications of a problem previously.

Thanks!!

2. Eric D

Eric D LawnSite Senior Member

Just want to point out a few things I may have missed in your post, but you might have ment or already understand. The problem cylinder is the one that allow the engine to keep running when you pull the plug wire off. It means this cylinder is not adding any power to keep the engine running.

With the above in mind, yes, it could be the ignition coil, but also could be a number of other things, like a stuck intake or exhaust valve, bad sparkplug, or low compression.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Pull the valve cover off the dead side, Check for a bent/popped loose push rod. If thats OK crank the engine over watching for both rocker arms to fully open the valves then close them.

How many hours are on this unit and when was the valve adjustment checked last ?