kawasaki 15 trouble

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by arosewag, Apr 23, 2006.

1. arosewag

arosewag LawnSite Member

I have an exmark 48 hydro walk behind. Not very many hours on it. I can't seem to get full hp out of the engine. Not sure what happened, but at full throtle it seems to be at maybe 2/3 power. Really bogs down. I thought it may be the plugs, but I changed them and it still does the same thing. It starts up fine, idles fine, doesn't make any strange noises. I checked the linkage and there is full travel in the throttle. Any ideas?

2. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

You need to get access to a tachometer and verify the top no load rpm's. Check the air filter also.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you post the model and spec. numbers off the engine I will post the high speed adjustment procedure, But as lucforce said you need a tach. to set it properly. You can order one here; http://www.tinytach.com/tinytach/gasoline.php Or purchase the same one at any Briggs & Stratton dealership.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Get a tach and see what the rpms are.It is an easy procedure to adjust the RPMS,if it is a V-Twin 15.Under the air cleaner houseing, there is plate,loosen two 10 mm bolts on each side of the plate, take a long screw driver or wrench, and lift up on the plate to raise the RPMS.We put tach's on all the walkbehinds, and Z-Turns. If the air filter and RPMS are ok, it could be a coil going bad, or the thottle linkage messed up.

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

If it is the v twin, I would guess it is likely you have one coil going bad.

6. arosewag

arosewag LawnSite Member

Thanks for the replies guys. Restrorob....can I get just the standard tach? Also, I found an earlier reply of yours to another post that had the schematic for the linkage. I'm going to check and make sure the choke linkage is ok. The diagram will be most helpful, thanks. I did check the air filter and it was certainly dusty. I banged out as much of the soot as I could, but it doesnt seem to be the problem. I started it up without the filter and it doesn't affect the rpms.

7. arosewag

arosewag LawnSite Member

Is there a good online parts supply for coils? Are they easy to replace? I am mechanically inclined and not afraid to take something apart.....only sometimes do I have parts left over after putting it back together.

8. oldrustycars

oldrustycars LawnSite Senior Member

you guts should listen to Restrorob. you can get the Briggs vibratach for about 15 bucks, they work great, and reasonably accurate. its all ive ever used. but on a machine you make your living with, get that tinytach and you get an hour meter as well. installs in seconds, just wrap the wire around the spark plug lead. now you can watch the rpm's all the time, and maybe adjust the ground speed accordingly. plus the hour meter...you might be surprised how many service intervals you've missed.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Well I need your model numbers to look it up because there are a couple different 15's and I don't want to misinform you. changing a coil is not that hard of a job but I don't know of a on-line place to get them for Kaw. right off hand. Any tach. will do but the tiny tack is the best bang for the buck as oldrustycars said.

10. lucforce

lucforce LawnSite Member

"It starts up fine, idles fine, doesn't make any strange noises."

Before you start ordering pricey ignition coils, I would verify the rpm's if the above is still true.