Kawasaki 17 horse

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by osc, Mar 20, 2000.

1. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

Last year was very dusty as everyone knows. I had 2 kaw 17's get dirt ingested and luckily one was replaced under warranty and the other is still in the shop for a ring job under warranty. We spent a lot of bucks on filters and dirt still got by us. Now I am hearing that 17 horse kaw's may not be as good as the other kaw's. Anyone out there have an opinion? I guess I should say that our Kohlers faired much better.<p>OSC

2. thelawnguy

thelawnguy LawnSite Silver Member

Im not sure how the air filter housing on the 17 sits, but on the 14, there is an o-ring between the carb and the housing which doesnt seal for $hit, they add a piece of foam seal on top of it but it deteriorates from the heat so it needs to be replaced annually. Chances are this is where the dirts coming from.<p>Bill

3. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I did get new filter housing with the ring job, under warranty. The shop doing the job also found a bearing rolling around in the bottom of the engine that came from the governor. Apparently, the factory left it that way. I thought the engine was a little weak under a load. Is this Japanese quality control?

4. walkerrider

walkerrider LawnSite Member

I also had problems with 17HP Kawasaki. I had the Liquid cooled version and the thing was a dog. It would never idle out properly and was not nearly as smooth or quiet as advertised. I have sinced moved back to Kohler

5. JML

JML LawnSite Senior Member

I have the 15 twin kawi, i think it is pretty much the same as the 17. but it has been sucking in a lot of dirt. had to work on the carbs and such after 100 hrs.

6. southside

southside LawnSite Senior Member

Walkerrider,we are having similar problems<br>with the 17hp liquid cooled kawasaki in our<br>Kubota. I have had enough and am getting rid<br>of this heap,for a Walker or Toro ztr.<br>Lots of problems with fuel pump and carby on<br>this motor. It is a dog.<p>Karl<br>