Kawasaki 17 hp Vibration

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by BillyDay, May 9, 2004.

1. BillyDay

BillyDay LawnSite Member

I have scag rider with a 17 hp Kawasaki. It would kill while cutting is warm weather. The dealer replaced both coils. Still had same problem. Dealer then cleaned both gas tanks and fuel lines, replaced fuel filter and cut a vent line in the gas caps threads. The problem is fixed, however, the engine vibrates excessively now. It still works and has plenty of power but the vibration is uncomfortableand has me concerned as the engine used to run very smoothly. Any ideas would be appreciated. Also, anyone had any success obtaining service manual for this engine?

2. roket77

roket77 LawnSite Member

I went to a place called sohar's or also known as rcpw.com and the had several manuals. I was going to purchase the 17hp that includes the fh500v but has more that that particular model. it's located 20 minutes s.e. of cleveland,ohio. go to their website and they should have a phone# there too. hope it helps,,,mark

3. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

This may sound crazy but check to see if the one of or both the coils are not on upside down. I seen a Kohler run so bad it would just about tear its self a part. One of the coils had been changed and put on upside down. I would not have though it would have even ran but it did. The coil was firing out of time it being on upside down it turns out.

4. LynyrdSkynyrd

LynyrdSkynyrd LawnSite Member

If your engine model has one.

Could the counter blancer be out of whack or going bad?

5. Mr Dane

Mr Dane LawnSite Member

Does the 17hp kaw have an electric clutch on it could check that too i have seen them cause a vibration

6. ztrx

ztrx LawnSite Member

Remove the plastic flywheel shroud and Grab the top of the engine(the flywheel end) and see if it has any play from side to side or front to back. Also with it running at idle look to see if the flywheel is running true. It is possible that if the engine was ran low on oil,the upper main is worn and causing your vibration.
    Good luck

7. Dave

Dave LawnSite Senior Member
    from RI

Question is ,did it do it as soon as you got it back from the dealer
    or did you mow with it for a while??If you had mowed with it for a while chk all the pullies looking for a piece of debri jambed under the belt,it would be just enough to knock everything out of ballance,other than that I would take it back to the dealer and ask him to look at it as it did not do it before he fixed it,any dealer is only as good as there mechanic,and you would be surprised to some things that gets pushed off to the customer ,after a mechanic screw up

8. fixer67

fixer67 LawnSite Silver Member

While you are checking the pullies check the belts from end to end. If you have a 'bit' taken out of a belt that will cause it to act like it is going to fly apart.

9. jrainw

jrainw LawnSite Member
    from indiana

I'm a comm. equipment dealer and I have replaced alot of pushrods in the FH series of engines. If you don't adjust the valves at least once after break-in they loosen up enough to cause pushrods to bend. This is much more common than coil failures on these engines. These engines are fantastic and will take lots of abuse if you don't mind burning alot of oil. None of my customers have killed one that had any oil in it.

10. metro-hp_48

metro-hp_48 LawnSite Senior Member
    from TN

What might they need to be adjusted to jrainw, on a FH500V?
    (have my allen head, feeler gauge, & wrench here ready to do it)

Interesting you see more pushrods getting bent than coils going out. My first coil just went out around 200 hrs., doubt my valves are much out of adjustment, but want to make sure.