1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki 17HP FH500V Leaking oil???

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by 4curbappeal, Jun 1, 2008.

1. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Let start by saying that I am not mechanically inclined! I have done a search and read numerous threads on this engine. The engine has 376 hours on it and is starting to leak oil. The engine is on a 54" Hustler Hydro Walk Behind, which I use about 95% of the time. My dealer is extremely backed-up and I really can't go 1 day without this mower let alone a week and a half!

I realize that this isn't one of Kawasaki's best motors, but I am stuck with it! At least I'm stuck with it until it "blows"! I have tried a seal conditioner that claims to stop leaks, but am skeptical. It is hard to see where the leak is and it doesn't seem to be using more oil!

Does anyone have any suggestions or ideas????????? Thanks in advance!
  2. jkilov

jkilov LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MS

Every Kaw I bought developed a leak somewhere eventually. If this keeps up they should rename themselves to Leaky Motors corp.

Anyway, if you can get a rental then take it to the dealer and have it fixed (warranty ?). If he's too busy find another dealer.

First try to find the leak. Clean the engine and wait till next day to find it. Could be anything: gaskets, bearing seals, governor arm seal or just a hairline crack in the aluminum.
  3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

kawajunkie man!!!!! many many many problems with those fh engines run it till it blows then stick a kohler on it at least 25 hp.
  4. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

Im having the same problem with my FC420 Kawi. I cleaned it off 3 days ago and have no sign of a leak which is pissing me off. 3 times in as many weeks I have found the floor under the mower covered and also the area around the motor. This is a back-up mower that is only used on 1 or 2 jobs a week when i have an extra person on a crew. I have yet since I cleaned it off to see anything, tomorrow Im going to start it up and let it sit and idle for a few and see what I can find. Im hoping its not the crack or bad head
  5. dutch1

dutch1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Jayhawk

I've worked on numerous FH500V's. In my experience, the most numerous leaks to fewest:

1. Pan gasket
    2. Governor shaft seal
    3. Lower crank seal
    4. Oil breather cover gasket
    5. Head gasket(usually overheating caused by blockage of cooling fins)
    6. Top crank seal
    7. Cracked pan near one of the four mouning bosses

Your mileage may vary
  6. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

right on the money dutch
  7. 4curbappeal

4curbappeal LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks for the replies! I noticed today that is leaking on my trailer floorboard. Is there any way I can fix this without taking it into a dealer? Every dealer that I called is atleast a week backed up! Any ideas?