Kawasaki 17HP no-start

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ASEGuy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. ASEGuy

ASEGuy LawnSite Member

I'm an experienced auto tech and am unhappy to say im getting my butt kicked by a mower.

Used for plowing, thus it sat all summer. Wouldn't start when it came in. I changed the fuel and fuel filter and had a look as the plug, whick looks new. It started one time after that and sounded ok, but would not re-start later. The engine cranks fine but floods the cylinder before there is ever any sound of ignition. Has spark. Pulled and cleaned the carb bowl and verified the solenoid pulls in when powered. Blew out the jets. No change. If I leave the choke on, it fires out the exhaust. The muffler is imploded as if it lit off when full of fuel sometime in the past. Pulled the cover on the OHV and verified that the valves are moving.

I worked on a lot of old Briggs motors but don't know where to go with this thing. HELP!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

How about posting the model and spec. numbers off this headache of yours and I'll see what I can come up with.

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

This is just a wild guess - check that it hasn't jumped time. Inspect the keyway shear on the crank. Could be that it sheared and you're still getting a spark and all indications that the engine should fire up and run fine - but the spark is off TDC and producing the problems and symptoms. It's just a flyer - but it may be right. Post back - let us know.

4. ASEGuy

ASEGuy LawnSite Member

Thanks for the help guys. As sometimes happens, I found the error in my ways rather by accident. Earlier I had checked spark with an in-line spark tester hooked to ground and it was obviously just fine. A visual check of the spark plug showed nothing out of the ordinary.

Little did I know, the resistor within the plug was open-circuit. A new plug and the thing fired right up.

Duh!