Kawasaki 19 hp

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Tharrell, Nov 6, 2007.

1. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

I picked up a Lesco wb with the 19 horse Kawasaki. What weight engine oil does it use? The manual I downloaded covers about everything out there, single and multi weight oils. Tony
    Also, The starter drags, anybody got a fix or do I need to call J-Thomas?
  2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Follow the graph that should have been in that down-load;

I prefer the 30W over multi weight, It states to check the oil level more often if using multi....

As for the starter, Remove it then take it apart clean and lube it and try it again. In quite a few cases this is all they need.
  3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Well, I changed the oil and filter yesterday. I am using Castrol 30w in my Briggs so I am sticking with it for this engine as well.
    My Kohlers use 10w30 Kohler oil and I assumed this overhead valve Kawasaki would use a multi weight as well.
    Also, I went looking for some new plugs a few weeks ago and couldn't find the recomended NGK plugs. O'reilly ordered me some Champion C59CX plugs.
    It was running on the old plugs (but hard to start) so I didn't put them in right away.
    I decided to check the gap and install them yesterday. The mower fired up like it was brand new (like it should).
    The mower shop I use told me I needed a new starter ($185 for the part) and a battery!
    Before I installed the new plugs, I had to play a back and forth game with the throttle to get it to start and only after it backfired once or twice would it start and pour white smoke out the exhaust.
    I'm going to second guess everything this shop says from now on. Tony

Btw, This 52 Lesco Hydro walkbehind with a 19hp Kawasaki is for sale along with a 36 gear drive Bob-Cat with a 15 Kohler for anyone local or willing to drive.
    I'm asking $2000 for the Lesco with just under 700 hours and $1000 for the Bob-Cat with unknown hours both are ready to rock and roll.
    I have 5 walkbehinds and need to shed some.