Kawasaki 19 hp

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by greensway, Jul 27, 2004.

1. greensway

greensway LawnSite Member
    from ohio

What type of engine oil is recomended for this engine?
    It is on a 2004 52" ct.
    Should I use synthetic?

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Greensway,

Kawasaki recommends a straight 30 weight for most applications. If you wish to run a synthetic I would wait until the engine is "broken" in (say after the 2nd oil change) and the switch it over to your favorite synthetic.

Thanks

Terry

3. number1dad

number1dad LawnSite Member

How many hours should the synthetic be used before being changed? I have 300 hours on my Kawasaki, can I change to synthetic now?

4. eXmark

Number1dad,

I'd change it as soon as possible at this point. The engine manufactures recommend switching after the first oil chainge. I usually wait until the 2nd. You want to change to a synthetic before the engine gets too much wear on it and before the additives in the petroleum oil create too much "sludge" in the crank case but not before it's broken in properly.

Thanks

Terry

5. number1dad

number1dad LawnSite Member

I am not very familiar with the synthetic oil. Does is come in 30 weight or should I be looking for a different weighted oil?

6. eXmark

number1dad,

I'm not sure which manufacturers do and do not make a straight 30 weight in synthetic. Kawasaki prefers a straight 30 weight but they say a 10W30 will work as well.

Thanks

Terry