1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki 19hp SAE30 or 10w-30

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by DJL50, Jul 7, 2006.

1. DJL50

DJL50 LawnSite Senior Member

First off I am not interested in synthetic oil.

I asked my dealer what oil to use and he said. 10w-30. Went around back and asked another guy and he said SAE 30.

This is for home use. What do you use?
  2. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I've ALWAYS heard to use SAE 30.... That's all I've been using for years, no probs....
  3. DJL50

I did a little research last night. Looks like the 10w30 is best if you run the unit below 32 degrees. Also said you may burn a little more oil using the 10w30. So it sounds like SAE 30 is the way to go. Am I right????
  4. Rev. Crabgrass

Rev. Crabgrass LawnSite Member

You are correct. Always use SAE 30 in air cooled engines.

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The use of SAE 30 in Kohler Command engines is a :nono:

Below is the oil recommendation chart from Kawasaki.

Kaw oil recommendation.jpg
  6. Palmer'sLS

Palmer'sLS LawnSite Senior Member

hey rob..did you go from 14 to 15yr m.t. for briggs lately....i remember it bein 14....way to go, and thanks for all the good advice:clapping: :clapping:
  7. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, The first of this month was my anniversary so I updated my sign. line. :weightlifter:
  8. 04TurfT

04TurfT LawnSite Senior Member

I have noticed a lot that that ole boy knows his ****... how ever many years mechanic he is... he knows alot of stuff.... he always chimes in and helps... keep it up man
  9. n4wv

n4wv LawnSite Member

Hey guys, this is my first time posting. I too have a Kawasaki engine in a JD LX280 mower and the JD manual only specifies 10w30 or 10w40 oils. I called a couple JD dealers and depending on who you talk to its either 10w30 or 30 wt.
    My mower is new with only 5 hrs on it and I just changed the oil and filter and put in Havoline API SM 10w30. I have a friend with a JD LX176 14 hp Kawasaki and he said he's always run Castrol 10w30 and it doesn't use any oil at all. I do plan on changing the oil/filter again around 25-30 hrs. Should I go with the heavier 30wt oil or what John Deere recommends?

PS: I bought the technical manual and it does list SAE 30 in there, but its not even mentioned in the owners manual which I find odd.
  10. DJL50

So Rob, What would "YOU" use? SAE 30 or 10w-30