Kawasaki 21HP Cannister service schedule

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by brucec32, May 21, 2003.

1. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

My owners manual and engine manual say nothing about how often and how to service the paper element in the cannister air filter. Seems like a great design, since at 150 hours it's still very clean looking. Is there a recommended replacement schedule and part number?

Thanks

2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Bruce32,

The Kawi manual I have (Like all manuals they are subject to change) page 33 covers the air filter maintenance.

The foam pre-cleaner should be cleaned every 25 hours with soap and water then allow it to dry. The paper element should be cleaned every 100 hours by tapping it against a solid surface (I use my work bench). Be sure you don't hit it so hard as to damage the filter. The manual also states the filter should be replaced every 200 hours.

Thanks

Terry

3. brucec32

The cannister air filter on my Lazer didn't have any foam element. Are you talking about the standard air filter on that engine? That one is covered in the manual, but not the cannister filter with a drop in cylinder shaped paper filter.

4. eXmark

Bruce 32,

What was I think'n..............................

I did call Kawi and they said double the service interval of the standard filter so clean it at 200 and replace it at 400.

They're going to call me with any other service information later. I'll pass it along when the call back.

Thanks

Terry

5. brucec32

Thank you sir. Sounds about right to me.

6. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

So........... does the Kaw have a foam element? When I open up the cannister, all I see is one cylindrical filter.

Thanks.

7. eXmark

Big Dave,

None of the canister filters will have a foam element. All canister filters will have a long cylindrical filter and SOME will have an inner safety filter. This inner safety filter doesn't actually do any filtration. It's there to prevent the wind from blowing a bunch of stuff down into the carburetor while cylindrical filter is removed for servicing.

Some of the walk behind mowers may use a flat filter or a “ring” type filter. In both cases there will be a traditional paper element as well as the foam pre-cleaner. The Lazer AS and the Lazer CT with the Kohler engines will also use the more traditional “ring” type filter and foam pre-cleaner as well.

We bagan using the cannister air filters on the Kawasaki's..........last year I believe. If your engine has a cannister with a big mushroom looking thing on the top then you have a cannister air filter and it will NOT have a foam element.

Thanks

Terry

8. BigDave

BigDave LawnSite Member

That answers it. Thanks!!

9. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

yep, it was 2003 when kawi's got the standard cannister.

is there a kit to retro fit the cannister to my 23 kawi? i know it either requires a new carb or rejetting. just wondering if it's cost effective at 900 hours. those standard filters get dirty fast. do you know the cost if there is such a thing?

10. eXmark

Mike,

There is a retrofit kit for some of the Kawi twins used on the Lazer HP however your dealer would need to supply pricing information for Kawasaki parts.

Thanks,

Terry