1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki 21HP Stalling

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by iceberger, Apr 7, 2007.

1. iceberger

iceberger LawnSite Member

I have a commercial grade ZTR that has 21 hp Kawasaki FH641V engine that has started stalling. I put stabil in all of my gas, and it doesn't begin stalling until I'm about 1/2 way through mowing my 2 acres. So, I don't think it's the gas.
    After it stalls I get the backfire smell. After it stalls, it starts much easier if I give it full choke.
    I was able to keep the engine going if I dis-engaged the blade. That worked for a while, but it just stalled sitting there without the blade engaged.
    Does it sound like a problem with the carb? Does anybody know if this engine vapor locks? It's extremely frustrating and take a LONG time to mow.
  2. dfischer

dfischer LawnSite Member
    from Il

Perhaps some junk in the fuel filter?

Why not drain fuel and replace?
  3. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

On my 23 kaw, I drain the crud out of the carb bowl, about once a week. Theres a screw on mine that I can do this. If I don't, it will start to run rough. I replace the tank filters once a year.
  4. Bill S

Bill S LawnSite Member

check your safety switches and wiring. sounds electrical