1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki 23 hp fh-680 v problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EARTH5, Jan 20, 2013.

1. EARTH5

EARTH5 LawnSite Member

I gave my laser z hp engine to a friend to rebuild. It's a Kawasaki fh680 v 23 hp. Well he is a professional motorcycle mechanic and took the entire engine apart and started making a parts list which I ordered all except what he called crank or main bearings.
    I looked online and figured out that they don't have a main bearing on crankshaft instead a sleeve that fits in the cases and the crank rides on that.
    So my problem remains he removed only one of these ( thank god) and Kawasaki doesn't offer it as a separate part. They want you to buy the entire case for $450.
    Does anyone know where I can find that sleeve/ bearing or any other help or solutions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :dizzy:

2. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

There was a post on this a while back. I forget what the outcome ended up being but try doing a search in this particular forum(Mechanic and Repair).

Honestly if those are in need of replacing its time for a new engine.

3. laman

laman LawnSite Senior Member

how many hours on this engine?

4. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did he remove it, or did it fall out during teardown? If it fell out, I'm with Pugs. New engine.

5. D C

D C LawnSite Member

If you're doing a rebuild and can replace the worn bushing, what is gained by spending a LOT more on a new engine?

6. D C

D C LawnSite Member

7. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

A 3 year warranty. A new starter motor. A new carb with all new linkages and no wear on the shafts or body. I would hope the engine rebuilder would be installing new valves and cutting the seats but who knows...so a new engine would have all of that new.

Also the newer engines have a better system of oiling that upper bushing that seems to be a problem in the older ones where they oiled it through the crankshaft instead of through the block as on the newer versions.

8. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm with you guys on this one....
    If the bushing fell out of the block during disassembly....its junk...
    The gearset would have wear issues ..and the rods would be sloppy..
    A Boomerang engine...any re used parts would come back on you...

9. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

10. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member