1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki 23 hp fh-680 v problem

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by EARTH5, Jan 20, 2013.

1. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

2. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

3. D C

D C LawnSite Member

Not sure what an engine builder would get for a rebuild, but as a DIYer, the difference in cost between a rebuild and a new FH680V is enormous. Looks like a rebuild should be able to be done for <$300 parts & labor for a moderate amount of machining, if required. Of course, if the crank or rods are toast, that goes up quickly and changes the cost/benefit ratio. If it came to that, and as bad as the Kaws are, I think I'd buy 2 lesser-model Kohler or Briggs engines for the same $$ and call myself ahead in the long run.
  4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The going rate for rebuilding a Kawasaki twin cyl is 8 to 10 hours at shop labor rate ...plus parts..
    That includes machine work and a 90 day warranty on parts and labor...
    Oversizing the cylinders or grinding the crank are generally not worth doing...by the time you add the extra parts and labor involved...
    Don't forget about the sales taxes. They add up quick when you get near $1000...
  5. D C

D C LawnSite Member

Thanks. That could certainly turn the tables against a rebuild in most cases. Especially for a Kaw (imho, based on the problems I've seen as prevalent)

Since my ZTR isn't being used as a plow this year, I think I'll dive in for a look-see in the next month or so. Thumbs Up