1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

kawasaki 23hp fuel usage

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by flyboy03, Jun 11, 2004.

1. flyboy03

flyboy03 LawnSite Member

how many hours do you need on a new kawasaki 23hp engine before fuel consumption stabilizes? seems like it's sucking fuel like a thirsty alcoholic.:cry:
    previous posts say that this engine sips fuel at a very conservative rate. what gives?
  2. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have a 23 kaw, well broken in, the new kohlor 27 I got this year uses less fuel then the kaw.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

My 23 kawi uses 3/4 of a gallon every clock hour on the meter.

Fuel consumption will change under loads. If you are cutting a lot of high stuff it will cause it to be worse.
  4. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

I have to agree, we tend to use the older mower, which has the 23 on it, for like brushhogging jobs, grass that's 8-24's tall.
  5. rivablaster701

rivablaster701 LawnSite Member

I just bought a husqvarna with a 23 kaw and I had the same thoughts at first. seemed I was constantly filling it. After about 65 70 hours or so I noticed a considerable difference. Now it seems that I can cut more ground with less fuel than my 17hp stander. I cut about 70 primarily residential lawns and use about 25 gals a week this equates to about 22 engine hours a week