Kawasaki 23HP loss of Power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by woodenspoke, May 11, 2006.

1. woodenspoke

woodenspoke LawnSite Member

I have a Kawasaki V Twin FH680V with about 300 hours on the engine. This spring everything was going fine (not a commercial user but using a commercial Husqvarna mower) last week my engine lost power about 20 minutes into the job, my RPM’s fell and the engine struggled to continue mowing. After 24hrs rest the problem comes back again in 15-20 minutes. I have changed the oil, oil filter, plugs, air filter and gas filter with no change. Being a non mechanic my only thoughts are gas line blockage or a carburetor problem, any ideas?;)

2. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

My 17hp and a few others on here have the same problem. One guy fixed by putting a electric fuel pump on his. Another by replacing fuel lines. Speaking of this problem I think I will e-mail kawi's service dept. and see if they have anything to say about this.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Kawasaki states to check and adjust valves every 300 hrs., I had a unit in the shop last week with 285 hrs. doing about the same thing (loss of power).
    I performed the valve adjustment and found the customer had replaced the air filter with the wrong one as per the service bulletin below. So valve adjustment, new plugs and the proper air filter took care of the problem on that one.
    The aftermarket company we were getting filters from stated theirs replaced both but I found they were wrong so watch out with aftermarket filters.

Maybe this will help.

FH Air Filter S.B. (Medium).JPG

4. woodenspoke

Restorob: I checked the filter per your tech bulletin and I have the correct filter installed, Thanks for the heads up and the bulletin. I assume you do not think my problem is a fuel line since the engine comes to temp when the problem occurs. Not being a mechanic how difficult is it to do the valve adjustment and where would I find some documentation on the procedure? Or should I bite the bullet and bring it to my dealer?

5. woodenspoke

6. Restrorob

Just follow the manual and have new valve cover gaskets in hand because they will most likely break when the covers are removed. I would tend to think it's not fuel related because as you say it runs fine until up to temp., I also can't say the valve adjustment will solve the problem completely either but it worked on the one I had in the shop and your's is due adjustment anyway. You may also want to check the spark on each cylinder after it starts acting up, A coil could be breaking down after warmed up also.

Good Luck, And keep us posted.

7. lawnmaniac883

Hey restro, I have a quick question for ya. Is it possible that my left cylinder's coil is going out when I lose power and my tach stops reading? I know they work by sensing the ignition pulses so since the pulses werent there would my tach not work for a few seconds? Engine loses power at same time the above stated occurs. One day it'll piss me off enough to where I will slap a new 23hp engine on there. Of course with my luck the new one will do the same crap.

8. Restrorob

Thats what it sounds like to me, The tach. won't pick up a signal it the coil isn't sending one. Next time it acts up leave the engine running at idle and pull the plug wire opposite the one with the hour meter and see if it shuts down.

BTW, Since I got you here what ever happened to our blade balance experiment ?

9. khouse

khouse LawnSite Bronze Member

You also need to check the vent in the fuel cap. If it is stuck it will cause a fuel starvation problem. It's like holding your finger on top of a straw with water in it. Take your finger off (vent) and water (fuel) will now flow out

10. lawnmaniac883

I concluded that the cheap ones wont work worth a dayam. Balance is close if not exactly the same with a nail. The lies, the lies!
    Probably going to the dealer next week and gonna suggest coil replacement. Did last time and he thought it was the deck belt slipping :rolleyes: . Strange though, when it happens the rpms go from ~3500 to ~2800 then no read then it comes back and blah blah. Sure as hell is pissing me off though. Did it almost all day today. Imagine mowing 5acres at 2mph...yea it sucked. If he dont fix it next time I will sure as hell buy a new engine and pray to god it doesnt do the same thing.