Kawasaki 25 hard to start when hot

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mx495, May 9, 2006.

1. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

I have a new Hustler Super Z with a 25 Kaw and when it is hot it is really hard to start, anyone else have this problem? I try it full throttle, half, choked, not choked doesn't seem to make any difference.

2. LandDesignlawns

LandDesignlawns LawnSite Member

Hello,
    If it has problems starting when Hot, its probably your coil. Its very easy to replace.
    Hope this helps,

3. skurkp

skurkp LawnSite Member

I have one and don't have any problems. If it is new take it back to the dealer and have it repaired.

4. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

When it is hot, leave throttle at idle (turtle) then start, don't play around with throttle only when engine start running then you can adjust throttle. If this doen't fix, you have other issue.

5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, sounds like a weak coil that will probably go out soon.
    This happens on new engines more than it should.
    But at least it's covered under warranty.

My Kawi's have been trouble free, which I am very thankful for. But they are thirsty and they do not fire real easily for some reason. Most of the time they need a little choke and a little finesse.

Mine seems to like half throttle, half choke. A lot of times mine will hit and then die instantly, like firing blows it out or something. I'll hit it again, think its' going to do the same, and I'll hear this little SNAP!.... When I hear that I know I'm good to go. I think that sound comes from the fuel solenoid.

Glad I don't have to pull start them, and I dread replacing those over-used starters.

6. LawnGuy73

LawnGuy73 LawnSite Bronze Member

I got two of them engines, and no problems here. I'd say take it in and have it looked at.

7. mx495

mx495 LawnSite Senior Member
    from MO

It only has about 10 hours on it, i guess i will have it looked at.

8. parttimer

parttimer LawnSite Member

:) With only ten hours its the coils, more than likely .I have one of those and if its warm it starts great with no choke but cold you always have to choke it.:usflag:

9. bwilder10h

bwilder10h LawnSite Member

Agree on the coil.

Those of you that have hard starting on the Kawi engines take note. A friend of mine that has been cutting for years told me a little secret that made a world of difference. When you put your mower on the trailer, let it idle at the slowest engine speed possible for 30sec to 1min before shutting it down. When you get to the next stop, don't touch the trottle and fire it up. Works everytime unless the engine gets cold... then it just needs a little choke and good to go.

10. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

That is exactly I have been doing both my 17 & 23 kawi, when it is warm never touch that throttle when starting and it works.