kawasaki 25 hp bad

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Larkp, Jun 7, 2008.

1. Larkp

Larkp LawnSite Member

I am looking to buy a 2006 super z with a 25 hp kawasaki with 300 hrs that smokes very bad. Have not fouled plugs and runs fine. It is loosing oil burning and blowing.
    I would like a list of the things it may be.
    Thanks

2. LarryF

LarryF LawnSite Bronze Member

What color is the smoke? It might be only a rich mixture.

3. SLR

SLR LawnSite Gold Member

Your intentionally leaving out the most valuable info..how MUCH is this seeminly potential piece of poop selling for? I wouldn't even consider it or sit on it for more than $500.
    Just moi 2shillings:)

4. Larkp

Larkp LawnSite Member

This smoke is for sure oil smoke it goes thru a quort if a few mowings.
    I have read others with a similar problem and it was brought up about crank case preasure. I have not gotten to check the dip stick to see. That is my next thing to look at.
    Thanks

5. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

if you do buy it throw the kaw away and get a kohler. kawajunkies are not rebuildable throw aways

6. Partsangel

Partsangel LawnSite Member

Well when you get around to checking the dip stick take a look at your air filter also, if you have alot of blow-by going past your piston rings you will find that the air filter will be clogged with oil...which will also make it smoke even more. If your air filter is soaked in oil, run the engine with-out the air filter and check your oil level often. for some reason I feel you have already bought this machine so keep checking the oil level and leave the air filter off till you get your moneys worth out of it and replace the engine with a new or good used one.
    "I'm just saying"

Mike

7. Larkp

Larkp LawnSite Member

Well it sounds like from both replys that this engine must be shot.
    I have not bought the mower just being careful. It is a 2006 with 300 hrs.
    The guy wants $3500.00 as is. If the engine cant be rebuilt I dont need it.
    Thanks