Kawasaki 25 vs. Kohler 27

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by robertyb, Feb 23, 2004.

1. robertyb

robertyb LawnSite Member
    from ga

I have seen mowers that are basically the same except they have two options standard, the 25 hp Kawasaki air cooled or the 27 hp Kohler air cooled motors. Same price , you choose. Which motor is the better choice and why is it better?

2. lawnwizards

lawnwizards LawnSite Silver Member

go for the 27. i hear parts get here quicker for the kohler over the kaw and they are also cheaper.

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Kawi. 25 kawi makes more torque than the 27 kohler. Torque is where the grass is.

4. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Exactly! My 25 Kawi rocks...along with my 17 Kawi...don't know as I'd ever go back to Kohler as long as the Kawi is an option.

5. go with the 27 kohler i have one on my toro 557 and its got torque out the ass...kohler all the way

6. They are both great.You cant go wrong with either

7. rob1325

rob1325 LawnSite Senior Member

I run both and find my Kawi's more reliable and powerful than my Kohlers. But at the end its personal preference.

8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You really can't tell them apart. The Kawasaki seems to be thirstier.

If you go Kawasaki make sure you have a cannister air filter, the kawi filters at $25+ are a rip off and they suck.

9. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

I think my Kawi 25 V-twin is great. Plus, Kawi's are the easiest to start and most reliable of any engine.

10. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't think you can go wrong with either, but I personally would choose the kawi.

Where can I get a canister air filter? I almost **** myself when I went into the dealer and paid $25 for one.

I looked for a canister filter a while back for my 757, but could only find ones for vertical shaft kawi's, and mine is a vertical shaft. I would love to have one.