Kawasaki 25HP Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by Metro Lawn, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

PJ, I wrote you before regarding this issue with my Super Z. I have had the top crank seal replaced 3 times in 100 hours of use at just over $200 a pop. Mike from Pro Mower said that Kawasaki told him to let them know if it was the same seal again and they may replace the engine. Today he called them and said that it was in fact the same seal that was just replaced 44 hours ago that is bad again and they changed their tune to it is out of warrantee. This is most definately a factory issue and I am getting no help from Kaw. Mike said he was going to talk to someone from Hustler about it but I can't remember who he said it was. I thought I may check with you to see if you had any ideas. This unit may be a 2002 but it only has 600 hours on it. It has become a cost issue and I am ready to get rid of the Super Z since we know the seal won't last with all of the crank movement. I can't justify $600 - $700 a season to keep replacing these oil seals. I have heard this problem is related to only the 25HP Kawasaki and they are aware of the problem. I don't see why they won't stand behind their product if they know it is not right. I have an old Exmark Lazer with 3000 hours on it that is more dependable than this unit is now. Did you ever here anything regarding this problem on your end? Thanks, John

2. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

My contact at Kawasaki never returned my e-mail, I later found out he is no longer employed there.
    I will get our Michigan rep to see if he can get Kawasaki to change there mind on this.
    E-mail me, and I will forward it to him and see what we can get done.

Pj

3. rundm

rundm LawnSite Member

Is this a serious problem with the 25 horse kawasaki's because I am about to purchase one of them and I sure don't want any known problems that are not fixed. I'm sure there will be plenty of unknown problems that come up. RG

4. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I believe Kawasaki changed the design in the last couple of years, so it is not a problem anymore.

5. Metro Lawn

PJ, I never heard anything back about this. From what Pro Mower is telling me is that Kawasaki is now refusing to do anything since I am the second owner of this machine even though I bought it while it was still covered by the original plan. My question would be why they did not correct it when it was repaired the first time for the original owner and still new. Now I am looking at replacing the engine out of my pocket. The machine is only worth the cost of the motor or slightly higher so it leaves me with a decision. I can just scrap this Super Z that only has 600 hours on it and buy a new Exmark to replace it. I truly like the Hustler better, but I have to say when it came to service Exmark backed us up even if we were the 2nd owner. Someone dropped the ball with this machine before I even owned it and now I have to deal with it. Kawasaki changed the design of this engine because of this flaw. They should have recalled all of these things for replacement. Now I am stuck with a 1000 pound paper weight.... I hate to jump ship on Hustler, but they used the Kawasaki product and are aware of the problem. They let Kawasaki make Hustler look bad. I figured someone at Hustler would have enough pull to tell Kawasaki to fix the problem that they have with the 25hp unit rather than to catch all the bad pr and feelings from customers that got stuck with them like me.

6. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

I had our customer service manager looking into this, I will have to see what he found out, the last I did hear was similar to what Mike is telling you.

Pj

7. Metro Lawn

PJ,
    Just letting you know what was going on. I had to replace the Kawasaki case at an expense of almost $1500. The only damaged internal parts were the bushing the Kawaski redesigned on the new 25hp and the crank which was damaged as a result of the Kawasaki bushing failure. I still feel that this issue should have had an accross the board recall of the junk engines we were sold. They could have offered me a replacement case or something. I am forever done with Kawasaki and the lack of customer care they provide. I guess I won't be buying another Super Z since I will have to run this one until the wheels fall off to get back all the money I have had to put in to it.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

We are still trying to get more information on this and trying to get something done, we have not given up.

9. rundm

rundm LawnSite Member

I feel for you, I have just purchased a model with a kawa on it and hope like crazy that nothing like that happens. Hope everything works out for you, RG

10. KFLAWN

KFLAWN LawnSite Member
    from Mi

same problem. 25 kaw. pours oil out under shroud somewhere when it gets hot. any updates?