1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki 26 L/C BEWARE

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by milkie62, Jun 4, 2008.

1. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

Just bought a Ferris IS3100Z 61" with the 26 L/C Kawasaki engine.Had to use the choke when engaging the blades or it would bog and die.Dealer said it should loosen up a bit when the big tapered bearings seat in.I said OK because I knew that big heavy bearings are somewhat snug when first used.Well I ordered the 3 bag sysytem for it.I took it out of the huge box and started looking at the install manual.Seen the customer service phone number so I thought I would give them a call to see if I could tweek something on the motor to help with the bog on startup.The guy at Ferris asked me what motor ? I told him the 26 L/C.He said that in a commercial setting you really cannot use that model,deck,bagger combo because you will be fighting it.He said they had a problem and called Kawasaki and their response was its in your design.They took an older Kawasaki engine with same HP and put it on and it ran fine.Brought Kawasaki rep in and they then admitted that they had to change torque curve in order to meet 2008 EPA standards.They said I should call my dealer to resolve it with Ferris.Called the dealer,salesman said manager was due back from lunch and would call me back.Called back in about 10 minutes and he said Ferris had already called them about me.Dealer asked why weren't we told about this ? Dealer has already said they could have me in the big block Briggs by Friday if they have one in stock.have to check the other sales guy who is on the road to see if he has sold anything.Dealer said they want me happy but I am sure they told Ferris that they are not swallowing this possible problem.So anybody contemplating the 2008 26 L/C Kawasaki check with dealer and get in writing that machine brand will accept that combo.Dealer seems to be on the up and up.
  2. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

Come back and tell us what you think of the big block Vanguard. I'll promise you will never be short on power.
  3. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I hope they haven't messed this engine up. It is one fantastic motor. I now have the 27hp and 31hp Kawasaki air-cooled engines because I thought opting for more hp would be nice. But I miss that smooth LC sound. It's in a class by itself.
  4. milkie62

Just got the bagger installed in the mower and tried it on my lawn with a small grade.NNOOTT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I could stall engine now whereas without bagger it ran fine.You could get by with a seperate engine for running the bagger but you CANNOT put the 26 L/C Kawasaki engine on the 3100 Ferris mower with the factory bagger.Luckily dealer said they will take mower back and give me a bigger engine.Figure I will go with the BB Briggs since it is 50 cc bigger than the big Kawasaki.
  5. Ford850

Ford850 LawnSite Member

I wonder if this Kawasaki torque curve change has anything to do with the JD 800 series problems. If JD tested their new design through last year, and them Kawasaki dropped the torque this year as they shipped new engines, well you never know. hmmm.
  6. Zooropa93

Zooropa93 LawnSite Senior Member

I don't know about your situation with the deere, but I did hear something interesting when I called Kawasaki's tech support a few days ago. On the automated message that plays it says to contact the equipment manufacturer/distributor for engines used on John Deere products. I don't handle deere product it makes ya wonder if there are Kaw products that were specific to JD just so you have to go through JD for the parts and service on them.
  7. milkie62

Talked to Ferris today.Said I might be better off with the Briggs.They could not stall it when they plugged up the bagger.Said the 37 HP Kawasaki was fuel thirsty.
  8. Ned5485

Ned5485 LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I just bought a 3100 with the Briggs 32 HP. I can engage the blades with the throttle on the lowest setting. I can't even hear a drop in the rpm's. I thought about the L/C engine though, sounds like I should be glad I went with the Vangaurd.
  9. milkie62

HUGE difference between the Briggs and the Kawasaki engine.I can also engage the blades at idle.The Kawi motor does not have the torque to get the Ferris going.Anyone contemplating this mower with the kawi 26 L/C SHOULD NOT !!!!!! The Briggs IS THE WAY TO GO !!!!! Dealer was great.I had the new mower in 1 1/2 days after telling them.
  10. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I don't know about the longevity of the 32 Vanguard but it is definitely a Clydesdale when it comes to horse power.