Kawasaki 27 Liquid Cooled Just Quit!

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by br549oicu8, Nov 21, 2007.

1. br549oicu8

br549oicu8 LawnSite Bronze Member

We were using our ODB leaf loader last evening when all of a sudden a load backfire came from the engine and it stopped. We have been unable to start it since. I took it to our local Kawi service center and they tested it for fire...none to be found. They are going to get into it further today....
    I was told it could be the flywheel key?? Me not being too mechanically inclined...was wondering about that....
    Any input or opinions????

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

A sheared flywheel key will not prevent spark but cause the engine to spark at the wrong time.

They need to be checking the ignition system (coils) to see why it lost spark, Possibly a ignition/safety switch went hay-wire.

3. br549oicu8

Ahhhh..... Thanks for the response!! I just got off the phone with the service dealer and they have it narrowed to exactly what you said! They mentioned a "diode" possibly or coils.
    He mentioned the coils would be easy to get but unsure about the diode. Is that a Kawasaki part or available maybe thru an auto parts store??
    I sincerely appreciate your help!!

4. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

The diode is built into the coil on a 27hp. Be aware that if one diode is bad, it prevents the other coil from sparking. So the coil that is sparking is actually the BAD coil. Kind of confusing but that's how it is designed.

5. br549oicu8

Ahhaaaa!! Is that a definite Kawasaki part?? Others interchange...or Auto Parts store???

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

John answered your question, I haven't seen a after market coil for Kawasaki's.

7. johnp900

johnp900 LawnSite Member

It's a Kawasaki part. 21121-2090 for the #1 coil or 21121-2191 for the #2 coil. About $45.00 list price