Kawasaki 27 Or 29efi Scag

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Piscitelli Landscape, Mar 8, 2006.

1. Piscitelli Landscape

Piscitelli Landscape LawnSite Member

I Am Picking Out My New Turf Tiger This Week And I Have The Option Of The Carb 27 Hp Or The 29 Efi. Now I Know That Everyone Is Quick To Say Take The 29 But Is It Really The Better Choice For 800.00 Dollars More. Let Me Know What You Think.

2. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

We use Scag ZTR and just sold a Tiger Cub. We are going to replace it with a Turf Tiger 52/27 Kohler. We have a 61"/27 Kohler now as a demo and it is just too big for our needs. The 29DFI is more complicated than the 27 but will use less fuel. I have not had the 61 in thick growth but I don't think it will be lacking power. I just notice your comparing Kawasaki's, is the DFI liquid cooled? All we have right now is Kawasaki and Honda power equipment, but my dealer (known him for long time) said the Kohler was better in the 27. The Kawasaki's I have only go up to 19 so I dont know. If you want a Kawasaki, I would get the DFI.

3. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

If it were me, I would pay the xtra 800 and get efi. I'd rather give my money to companies for trying to make more efficient equipment than give it to the oil companies. JMO

4. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

The efi starts so easy thats a tough 1,local scag dealer here might save you some money.

5. twj721

twj721 LawnSite Senior Member

Kaw 29DFI only way to go as it is easy on fuel and power to spare

6. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

The DFI is liquid cooled.

7. LLandscaping

LLandscaping LawnSite Bronze Member

jtkplc,
    Thanks for answering my question. I would get the DFI, what price did you get quoted for the 27 and 29DFI? Our dealer want $8700 for the Turf Tiger with a 27 Kohler and 52in deck. (61 is like $200 more)

8. green acres lawns

green acres lawns LawnSite Senior Member

If the 61" tiger is too big, why don't you try the 52" wildcat. Its not much bigger than the cub. I have the 52" tiger cub with the 24 hp honda and it works great in small areas.

9. jtkplc

jtkplc LawnSite Silver Member

No problem...I would go with the DFI also, for the added power over the 27HP and the fuel savings.

10. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

I honestly dont think its worth it. There are a few reasons why.

1. First and most importantly is the fact that the EFI system is computer controlled and requires somebody that is specially trained to work on it. Make sure your dealer has somebody thats been trained properly before you get the EFI unit.

2. It may be more efficient but it would take years to make up for that extra $800 you spent.

3. Both mowers will perform the same and in case of a problem you can bet on the fact that the carberated unit will take less time to repair.

4. Once the warranty is up the cost to repair the EFI system will be through the roof compared to a simple easy to work on carb.

This is just the way I look at it. A penny saved is a penny earned and the carbed unit will produce just as well as that EFI unit that is more prone to breaking down.