Kawasaki 34 H.P engine problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by flipper61, Mar 11, 2013.

1. flipper61

flipper61 LawnSite Member

I have a fx921 34 H.P Kawasaki engine that wants to run on one cylinder. If you pull the choke out about half way it runs better but not great. If I pull a plug wire off on one side it fires on the other so the coils are fine. It has a slight back fire through the carb. I did a compression check and get 120 and 90 on the other. The exmark dealer told me that 90 psi on one cylinder can be normal and that you can get a reading like this sometimes and that it is fine but I'm thinking he may be wrong as I have never had a good engine test that way. It doesn't smoke and I did remove the heads and have them checked and also replaced with new head gaskets and it runs the same. The carb is also clean and working properly. Any ideas as to what I should check or is it time to pull the 90 psi side out to see if i may have a ring problem as I suspect. Any input would be helpful.

Thanks!

2. Exmark PR

Exmark PR Sponsor

If you need additional assistance, you can contact Kawasaki Customer Service at 877-608-6088 or 949-460-5687/88.

3. Valk

Valk LawnSite Silver Member

Leak down test? Valves adjusted?

4. flipper61

Valves are adjusted to specs and I have not done a leak down test.

5. Landrus2

Landrus2 LawnSite Platinum Member

What's condition of spark plugs oily or dry. :waving:

6. flipper61

Not really wet from oil but kind of black I believe from to much gas when it only runs on one cylinder. At full RPM's it runs on both but misses slightly and as soon as you idle down it goes back to one cylinder. I think I better do a leak down test before I go any further.

7. Landrus2

Have you checked you stator.:waving:

8. flipper61

Yes! I have plenty of spark coming through both plugs and the stator checks out good. I even changed the coils to make sure they were fine.

9. Landrus2

Have you checked your timing.:waving:

10. flipper61

Do you mean checking the mark on the cam that lines up with the crank?