Kawasaki 34 H.P engine problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by flipper61, Mar 11, 2013.

1. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Ehh.. there was a major recall on that engine. Cylinder head and cam problems. Maybe you should contact Kawasaki like the Exmark rep suggested.

2. flipper61

flipper61 LawnSite Member

This engine was already updated with the new heads and cam. It has nearly 1800 hours on it. I have to say the new fx series Kawasaki engines are making me think twice about buying them. A lot of them smoke so bad at start up from the time they are new and it seems like they aren't getting a whole lot of hours on them before trouble begins.

3. ricky86

That series has had it's share of growing pains. I'm curious, how many hrs do you consider
    acceptable to get from a unit before things start wearing out? 1500, 2000, 3000.

4. flipper61

flipper61 LawnSite Member

It seems like verticals don't seem to last as long as horizontals for some reason. I consider 2000 hours to be a decent amount of hours to expect an engine to last as long as it has been maintained fairly well. I'm sure they will get everything worked out and it will be a great engine like the FH series has always been.

5. ricky86

Oh I forgot, as per your problem, any change an intake gasket / manifold gskt could be leaking. Especially since it's been apart once already?