Kawasaki 37 hp V-twin

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bigsnowdog, Jul 26, 2008.

1. bigsnowdog

bigsnowdog LawnSite Member

The Ferris 3100 is available with the Kaw 37 hp V-twin. Are any members here familiar with that engine? I do not know if it may be used on the mowers of some other manufacturers also.

Any experience with this engine?

2. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to one of the engineers at Ferris when I had a problem with the 26 HP Kawasaki.He suggested the 32 HP Briggs.I am glad I got the Briggs on the replacement mower,it has all kinds of power and does not seem to use much more fuel.The Briggs is another 50 cc bigger than the Kawasaki.Do not get the 26HP and expect to run a bagger.

3. bigsnowdog

....but, do you know anything about the 37 hp V-twin? Not the 26.

4. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

I have a good friend with a country clipper that has that engine! He likes it alot! he has had it for over a year!

5. bigsnowdog

Has he commented on its fuel consumption rate, and what about it he likes?

6. milkie62

milkie62 LawnSite Senior Member

I am just telling you what the Ferris engineer said.The smaller Kawasaki was supposedly redone to meet 08 EPA standards and now is undrpowered compared to thr previous years.I suggest you get in touch with Ferris yourself and bypass the dealer entirely.

7. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

I have zero experience with the 37 hp model. But I do have the new 31 hp Kawasaki on my 60" Gravely XDZ. Even with the larger displacement pumps, it handles thick stuff with ease.

8. bigsnowdog

The dealer has not sold any, and I did talk to Ferris, who says that they have not sold enough to have a basis for comment. I admire the honesty in that.

9. MONTE

MONTE LawnSite Senior Member

My buddy has two country clipper 72" machines he mows lake lot area's with them around 300 acres weekly! He said the kaw burns much less than the 30hp kohler on his other clipper! Also says it has much more power!

10. bigsnowdog

That is fascinating news.