Kawasaki 641V Compatibility Question.

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Jason Pallas, Sep 18, 2007.

1. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

I've got to replace an engine in our Scag 48 Tiger Cub. Right now it's got a FH641V-AS09 in it. According to Kawasaki, the replacement engine is the FH641V-GS09. Here's my question, can I use a FH641V-cs16 to replace this engine. All the specs look to be the same - and I can get it for about $500 less.
    My second question is - I've got the chance to buy a "parts" FH641v-as08 for about $200. Can I use the shortblock from this to rebuild my FH641V-As09? All the specs seem to match up and the crank is the same. Any help from certified Kawasaki mechanics would be really appreciated. Thanks in advance Restrorob!

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

:laugh:

The cranks in the AS08 and AS09 are the same part number, But...That part number supersedes to the same part number crank thats in the CS16.

Sooo, I would say all the cranks are the same size and the difference between the three are external accessories.
    Charging system, Throttle controls, Air filter assemblies etc.

What external parts that are not right (the same) on the CS16 can be changed over from your old AS09 to install the new engine or the CS08 to install it.

Good Luck

3. Jason Pallas

Jason Pallas LawnSite Bronze Member

Rob - thanks a million!

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Anytime Jason.....