kawasaki air cleaner problems

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jandmlandscaping, Jun 15, 2002.

1. jandmlandscaping

jandmlandscaping LawnSite Member

FYI
    i have a scag turf tiger with a 27hp kawi with 450 hours on it
    (owner/operator)
    i take very good care of it!!
    recently i have noticed that oil consumption is WAY up.
    as soon as i bought it i noticed that the air cleaner had "leaks"
    and there was no heavy duty optional upgrade (is there???)
    now my buddy who owns the same mower with 650 hrs
    started getting major oil usage and a knocking noise
    turns out his connecting rod bolts started to back out
    cause?
    theory #1 - low oil=high heat=expansion of metal=wear after cooling causes "play" in the connecting rod crank toloances and upon starting causes vibration that loosened the bolts.

theory #2 bolts just backed out

my dealer says that briggs says, a quart a day oil usage is "normal"

now he says kawi is "replacing a lot of motors"

dirt=wear=motor death is my theory

anyone agree?

ifso what do i do?????

2. firedawg331

firedawg331 LawnSite Member

DUDE TRY A LITTLE RTV CLEAR SICLCONE AROUND THE FILTER COVER ITS WORKE FOR ME.AND YOUR RIGHT DIRT = WEAR = D.O.A I DONT WONT TO DIS YOUR DEALER BUT AS A BRIGGS AND STRATTON MASTER SERVICE TECH BRIGGS DOES NOT SAY A QUART A DAY KEEPS THE MOWER DOC AWAY.HOW EVER WITH OUT A OIL COOLER SOME USAGE IS NORMAL BUT A QUART????? GOOD LUCK:confused:

3. jandmlandscaping

he also said 1/2 qt an hour usage on leaf blowers is "normal"

4. jandmlandscaping

does anyone make an oil cooler or heavy duty aircleaner option for a 27 kawi??

5. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

My Exmark has the 23 hp LC Kaw and it has a canister type filter.
    Works great 1000 hrs and no problems. I just can't remember who makes it now. Check with an Exmark dealer maybe they can help.

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

I have the 27hp LC Kawi in my Lazer. It has a Donaldson Canister air filter, plus it draws its fresh air from behind my left elbow behind the seat. I have well over 500 hrs, and only replaced the filter once at the beginning of this season (an extra filter came for free from my dealers promotion!).

An oil cooler is not nearly as important on a LC engine as it is in an air cooled engine. In a AC engine, the OIL acts like coolant. In a LC engine, the engine is already cooled properly by engine coolant/radiator, which would help keep the engine oil temp in "check". I use Mobil-1 10W-30 in it and my coolant temp has always stayed around the cold mark. If I work it HARD (ie 12"+ tall grass/field mowing) I will use about a 1/2 quart in 50 hrs. Under normal usage it drops about a 1/4" down from full at the 50 hr drain intreval.

I cant see how a poor filter design would loonsen rod bolts :(

7. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Change twice a season. 1500 hours on one, on its fourth oil change.

Secret: Mobil1 15W-50 after initial break-in.

Never had to add a drop. No consumption.

KB

8. jandmlandscaping

tls can you get me a part number for your Donaldson canister air cleaner?

thx

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure how it would mount to your SCAG, but the Exmark P/N for the Donandson Remote air cleaner w/filter is....: 95-5805 Don't know what this includes as it could include about 13 parts that they list seperatly. The above number is for the complete kit.

If I were you I'd just get a universal kit from Donaldson. I'm sure they have a website or something, then all you'd need is the rubber elbow that connects to the carb plate. If your mounting this on a SCAG, I'd go for some sort of engineaire precleaner, as they way Exmark has theirs mounted has a lot to do with how clean it stays.

Good Luck!

10. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Your dealer is nuts or a liar. I have run Kohlers for years and find that on the average that mine may require a small amout of oil to top them off between 100hr oil changes. Usually this does not excede 1/2-1 pint between changes.
    On my Kawasaki powered machines, I can not ever remember adding oil between 100hr changes.
    My point is, if it was a Kohler you might expect a little oil consumption. However, on a Kawasaki, you should see almost no oil consumption. If you and your buddy's mowers are still under warranty, then you need to DEMAND that the engines be repaired or replaced.