kawasaki and kohler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by costcutter, Sep 26, 2003.

1. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

This may have been talked about but I missed it, I would like to find out if you guys really see a big difference or one is better than the other on kaw & kohler engines. everybody has there favorite but I have picked up good on both but I also hear a lot of bad. you hear good about kaw power and being a little quieter but they think they are never wrong. then there is good and bad about kohler. WHAT IS THE STRIGHT TRUTH YOU CAN TELL ME? ANY KNOWLEDGE YOU CAN SHARE IS APPRECIATED.
  2. Lawnalternatives

Lawnalternatives LawnSite Member

They sound different is all I can tell you. I have both. They both start everyday and that's all I care about. It's almost like comparing Ford and Chevy. One is probably a little better than the other but not much.

Now if you want to compare Scag to Exmark...
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Kohler all the way!
  4. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

HATE kohler all the way!
  5. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

Kohler all the way TWICE!!

6. challenger55

challenger55 LawnSite Member

i have kaw and it great so far i have there 2cycle and 4cycle
  7. procare57

procare57 LawnSite Member

I have both and the only difference is that the kaw. is a little harder to start in the morning.
  8. locutus

locutus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

In my opinion, kawasaki is best at the moment, I have owned both engines. The first was kohler. Valves ticked from day one, but managed to get eight years out of it. It also burnt a little oil. As for the kawasaki, winner hands down. No ticking, loads of power, starts first try, quiet, very little vibration, uses no oil. IMO these are really the only two choices in commercial grade engines, with the possible exception of honda. Hope this helps.
  9. C & S

C & S LawnSite Member

I had a Kohler and had some problems. It was a 24 horse and it had a hard time running a 52" deck. Now I have a 25 horse Kawi running a 61" deck, and will never go back to Kohler. HUGE difference was the fuel consumption. Kawi is a lot better. My father has a Honda on his machine and I would cosider a Honda, but never again will I own a Kohler. Just my opinion.
  10. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

C & S

you said it all right there. HATE KOHLERS