Kawasaki compression release

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by UncleRick, May 2, 2006.

1. UncleRick

UncleRick LawnSite Member
    from NY

Hi, I was hoping someone could give me some direction. I have a Kawasaki 23 hp FH680v AS0101 and it only has 166hrs on it. After a oil change last year I began to get an intermittent skip /sputter and low power problem, it would sometimes clear up after a few seconds and sometime not until next use.
    Now (after sitting over winter) it is back and here to stay. I have changed the oil again (poss used cheap oil) and changed the number 1 coil. I have also adj valves but still has not cleared up the skip. I have also unplugged # 2 coil when running to show that the problem is in the #1 cyl.
    This brings me to the compression release not working,causing the skip and no fire on #1. My question is two part does this seem like the right direction? Can anyone guide me to repair it?
    Thank
    Rich

2. MowerMedic77

MowerMedic77 LawnSite Bronze Member

Do you own a compression Gage and if so what reading are you getting from the #1 Cylinder? These twin engines will run on one cylinder as I have found out but not always is the cylinder dead from spark or compression loss, I have had intake gasket leaks causing a lean cylinder and I have seen them clog one of the two jets in the carb blocking the air/fuel to one of the cylinders you may want to check this before replacing any more expensive parts. Hope this helps:)

3. UncleRick

from NY

Thanks for the tip Medic I'll chk compression. I do have spark and I have tried to spray ether in and around the carb area to isolate a clogged jet or bad gasket and it has no change on the running motor.
    Rich

4. MowerMedic77

To check the air leak you may have to pull the top shroud and spray where the intake manifold bolts to the head if the gasket there has failed it will act like its running on one cylinder. P.S. you can run the unit without the top shroud for test purposes.

5. UncleRick

from NY

Medic, sounds good I'll chk in the AM
    Thanks
    Rich

6. UncleRick

from NY

Hi, Just a follow up on compression #1 cyl 100 psi #2 cyl 110 psi hot ratings.
    Rich

7. UncleRick

from NY

WOW! Talk about over t/shooting, I found a hair line crack in the #1 plug. She ready for NASCAR now!
    Thanks
    Rich

8. MowerMedic77

Wow thats great something simple and inexpensive are the best repairs:)