Kawasaki Crank bushings

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by David Thompson, Mar 31, 2008.

1. David Thompson

David Thompson LawnSite Member

I have a toro model 74179 serial 220000478
    Kawasaki motor code fh601v-ds06
    E/NO FH601VA33210
    The bushing for the cranckshaft in the top half engine case is worn out and eating the oilk seals. I can see a bushing ,, I can feel a bushing,, But no one will sell me the dang bushing ? I have the engine completely torn apart and found out all the parts dealers want to do is sell me a new engine. The exploded view I have out of the J. Thomas catolog does not even show this bushing.
    I am thinking about taking it to a machine shop and getting a new bushing pressed in and reamed to size and just see what happens.

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you want to repair that engine that's what you have to do, I know of no exact replacement bushing either. I have a unit in the shop right now with the same problem, But the unit is not worth putting all this work (re-bushing) into.

Good Luck

3. David Thompson

What happened to the good old days when people actually made things repairable? I have been a fan of the Kawasaki engines every since the first fb 460 I had way back when . That was one tough motor. But this bothers me having wearable items inside the motor that can not be replaced. I will be taking this into consideration with my next fleet of machines.
    David

4. mowermankevin

mowermankevin LawnSite Senior Member

David, A little frustrated? I have a whole garage full of blocks that need upper or lower engine case bushings, I'd love to beat kawa at this game, maybe a lucrative opportunity,somebody makes an insert but I'm still looking,let me know if you come on to an answer.

5. David Thompson

I have had to have parts made in situations like this before back when I was running the motorcycle shop. I was restoring old British bikes , the Triumph and Bsa and at the time some of the parts were just not available. So I am going to be calling some of my old machine shop guys and see just what it would cost to make a bunch of these. I know the original bushing , at least I was told by some guy from the Kawasaki tech line is made of some kind of lubrication impregnated material that is kind of a trade secret or some such nonsense. I am thinking about phosphour bronze bushings. Will keep you informed on the progress.
    David

6. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

They are cast into the housings, and not considered "replacacble".

If they are gone that far, they're not worth fixing.

7. David Thompson

I just pressed out the old bushings today . they are not cast into the housing.

David

8. Breezmeister

Breezmeister LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from South Jersey

Hi David. When I come across a odd bearing or bushing, I've dealt with this place that is local to me, link to there site, and to local stores. Hope it is of some help to you

http://www.applied.com/

ericg likes this.
  9. David Thompson

I found a bushing maker that is interested in making these case bushings for kawasaki motors. I have ordered them in both phosphor bronze and olite silicon impregnated with a steel backing so they wont distort the shape as bad when pressed in . The same supplier also said a caged needle bearing may be the best for wear in this situation so I ordered a set of those to. As I get the engines reassembled I will install new hour meters and log the maintenance of these so as to get a good picture of what will work the best.
    David

10. Skyking

Skyking LawnSite Member