Kawasaki Dying Out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ken50, Aug 13, 2004.

1. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

I have a JD 727, with a 23 horse Kawasaki, with about 55 hours on it. It has run great, until now. When I am cutting, it will run fine at first, but after awhile, it just dies out on me. I can restart it again, and cut for a few minutes, then it dies again, like it might be overheating or something? Just wondering if anyone has had this problem or can tell me what to check first.

Thanks

2. specialtylc

specialtylc LawnSite Bronze Member

Check the ignition coils. Kaw is famous for coils going out early. Or you may have a bad connection on a safety switch.

3. JPLAWNSERVICE

JPLAWNSERVICE LawnSite Member

Make sure the fins around the top of the motor are clean. This is probably the most common cause of an engine overheating and can cause the coil overheat and die early. Also make sure that the gas cap vent is working properly. If it is stopped up the engine will starve for fuel and quit.

4. Gtotoy

Gtotoy LawnSite Member

~~Just had a solenoid put on a 23 kaw today,, 400 hrs.~~

5. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

check the plugs, and air filter. I had something similar to that a while ago, and it just the bloody air filter. Nope it wasn't dirty, but the air filter in it was wrong

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

ours do the same thing............... does it most when doing cleap-ups

7. j_loppy

j_loppy LawnSite Member

As the fuel is drawn out of the tank by the engine, air needs to take up the space where the fuel was. It sounds like you need to loosen your grip on that fuel cap when you put it on, so as to not over tighten it. The vents on these newer caps are finicky.

I had the same problem on my WB with a Kawi engine. I noticed that it only happens after I've filled the tank... long story short, the fuel splashes up on the cap, then dirt sticks to the tiny openings in the vent, and then the positive pressure inside the tanks is lost, because air cannot enter the tank.

Just take the cap off and tap it gently on something, put it back on and see if that doesn't help.

Also, Z mowers seem to have more of a problem with getting water in the tanks from condensation than other mowers, mainly due to the bigggg EMPTY tanks. Fill them up at the end of every day to eliminate this. The only reason I mention this, is because the problem you described also sounds like it could be water in the tanks/ fuel system. When the mower stops and the water in the carb. settles to the bottom, it gets a fresh supply of gas when you restart it.

Try the fuel cap thing first, though, and that should solve your problem.

P.S. Let me know if this works.

8. SouthernFried

SouthernFried LawnSite Senior Member

Mine was a fuel filter problem...bad gas I think, dunno.

Changed fuel filter, problem went away.

Also, Kawasaki's have throttle cabel problems...check to see if choke valve is opening all the way, and not stuck in choked (closed) position.

LOL, just looked at all these posts...just disassemble the damn motor and rebuild it ;)

9. ken50

ken50 LawnSite Member
    from tx

Well, if I was to disassemble the motor, I would be in BIG trouble! It would NEVER run again, but it sounds like it could be a number of things, doesn't it. I thought it sounded like something in the fuel...and I just bought some gas from a new station that always has CHEAP prices...hope that doesn't wind up biting me in the rear...but, thanks everyone for the advice, I can't wait for tomorrow so I can start checking some of this stuff out!

10. shorty7616

shorty7616 LawnSite Member

Try drying out the electrical connections.....happened on my 12.5 Kaw....loosened my connections and let them air dry for awhile, and it was OK.

It drove me nuts for weeks- I tried fuel, air, carb, everything.