Kawasaki engine loses power

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by PascoPropMaint, Mar 24, 2008.

1. PascoPropMaint

PascoPropMaint LawnSite Member

I have a Husqvarna zero-turn with a 25HP Kawasaki engine. The other day, I was cutting grass when the mower suddenly died. I thought maybe I ran out of gas, so I filled it up. It cranked right up and seemed to be fine. About 45 seconds after engaging the PTO and going to full throttle, the engine just died again - no sputtering, nothing. I checked over all the safety switches, electrical, etc. and couldn't find anything.

I cranked it up again today (started up fine) and went to full throttle w/o PTO or hydraulics engaged - just sitting with parking brake on. After about 20 seconds, it died again. I figured out that if I can catch it in time and drop the throttle all the way down, it doesn't die.

Sound familiar to anybody? Fuel filter?

Thanks,
    Bobby

2. Travis Followell

Travis Followell LawnSite Silver Member
    from KY

It could be the fuel filter has a lot of trash in it. Whens the last time you changed it?

Another thing that comes to mind is does your mower have two tanks or one? It could have something in one of the tanks and its sucking it against the outlet and cutting off some of the flow. Try switching tanks and see if it still does it.

3. PascoPropMaint

PascoPropMaint LawnSite Member

I tried the tank switch since I first thought that I just ran out of gas. I also didn't suspect the fuel filter at first since it was just changed a little while back. However, this morning I looked at it and noticed there was a lot of garbage in it. I picked up a new one and it seems to have cured the problem. I'm beginning to think that maybe I *did* run it out of gas initially and that sucked the garbage into the filter.

Anyhow, while researching this problem I noticed that when I had the carbs rebuilt by the Husqvarna dealer a couple months ago, it seems he left the fuel solenoid on the back of the carb disconnected. Was this an oversight on their part or is this common practice with these Kawasaki engines? What does that solenoid do?

Bobby

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

The solenoid shuts off fuel flow to the main jet when the key/engine is shut off to prevent back-firing. If it was disconnected the engine should not have ran at all unless they cut the tip off it when they had it out.

Looks like you need to finish their job and empty/clean the fuel tanks out to prevent this from happening again.

ALL my carb rebuilds get a FULL system cleaning, I don't want them coming back all crapped up again and I'm sure the customer doesn't want to have to bring them back.