Kawasaki Engine Options?

Discussion in 'Hustler Turf Equip (Archived)' started by lawnspecialties, Jul 6, 2006.

1. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

It's been a couple months since my last rant on engine selection for my next SuperZ. Don't get me wrong, the 26hp liquid-cooled Kawasaki is purring like a cat and she just hit 400 hrs. this week.

I'm about to bid on a new contract which would require me to get at least one more machine, maybe two. This place is huge. The new 66" would be perfect. My only problem: the Kohler EFI is my next step up in hp and I really don't want to go that route. I've had every engine brand out there and Kawasaki is by far the best (IMO).

To make a long thread short. Any word on Kawasaki making the 29hp DFI liquid-cooled in a vertical shaft for Hustler, yet? Just looking for some rumors here, and wishing. Thanks:)

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

While I don't have but 50 hrs on mine, the 28EFI is a good engine. Pleanty of guys getting a couple thousand hours of of them.

Personally I'd like to see Briggs fuel inject their Big Block Vanguards. That would be a sweet combo on these SuperZ's. 35+hp almost 55+lb/ft of torque!

3. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Unfortunately I don't think Kawasaki is going to make the DFI engine in a vertical configuration.
    I know they have been saying for 2 years now we will see 30 + hp engines..... we are still waiting.....

Pj

4. REALSLOW

REALSLOW LawnSite Senior Member
    from FLORIDA

I have found the same thing that the Kohlers can have issues! I am not impressed with all of their offerings.

5. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Well they are the most popular engines for two reasons, reliability and low price. You can but two for the price of a Kaw liquid cooled I think. they have so many repair centers that can work on them. I admit the Kaw is smoother but for the money the Kohler can get the jon done for less. Just my opinion. On my fifth Kohler with out any problems. Just a little louder and rougher than the Kaw.

6. dwilmi

dwilmi LawnSite Member

I have been thinking about getting a Super Z 66" or 72" XR-7 but in your opinion will the 26LC Kawi handle a 66 or 72?

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

"handle" is the key word here.

While it IS a quiet, smooth engine, there are more powerful options out there.

8. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member

My 26LC will mow average length turf at full speed. I don't care what any other "brand" guys say. I do mean the full 15 mph when I need to.

I guess what I'm trying to say to your question is what you probably expect. If the conditions aren't too extreme (extra tall turf, wet, etc.), the 26 will run just fine on a 66" and I'd suspect a 72" as well. I'm confident enough that if I do get this contract and buy another machine, I'll at least see if there's one to demo. If not, I might just order one anyway. :)

9. MJB

MJB LawnSite Silver Member
    from Wa

I just demoed the 66" with 26 LC Kawi. The power was fine but the hills gave us some power concerns but it always made it up with a clean cut. I'm trying to make the same decision LC Kawi or Kohler efi or 30hp Kohler. Did your 26LC Kawi during breakin have oil pressure problems when you idle it back after running it hard for 30 minutes or so? Everytime I went to let it cool down I had to idle back in stages or the buzzer would go off low oil pressure. After 5 or 6 hrs it was fine.
    What is the initial breakin hrs before the first oil change too?

10. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

Initial oil an filter change should be done at the 5 hour mark on the hour meter.