1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki Engine Problem..Help?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Petr51488, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Petr51488

Petr51488 LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Hey Guys. Alright, i have a problem with my john deere mower. It has a 4.5HP Kawasaki Motor on it. Just for the record its a 14sb 21'' commercial model with ohv engine. When the engine is running, the idle is fine, but when i engage the blades, black smoke comes out of the muffler and the engine significantly looses power, but then regains it. The same when i use the self propel thing. You can hear the engine slow down, but again goes back to normal. Do you think the carb has anything to do with it? Its a pretty old lawnmower. Any ideas? I already replaced the air filter, fuel line, oil, and belts at the end of last season. Anyone know any solutions? - Peter
  2. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

replace the air filter
  3. Eddie B

Eddie B LawnSite Senior Member
    from gone

Sounds like you are running rich. You should be able to adjust this on the carb. Have you checked the spark plug? If it is fouled up, this is a sign that you are running rich.
  4. ZaK18

ZaK18 LawnSite Member

If it only blows out smoke when the engine is under strain, Its probably the head gasket...should be easy to fix
  5. Petr51488

from NJ

What does running rich mean? I did replace the spark plug at the end of last season as well.
  6. 430 boy

430 boy LawnSite Member

I think you could have one of two thing go for you. one the clutch could have a little oil on it could it to smoke or two the belt you replace is bound up and every time you engage the blade or engage the wheel the belt rubs against something underneith the mower could it smoke. :cool2: :cool2: :cool2:
  7. Petr51488

from NJ

It smokes from the muffler not under the mower.. I have never replaced the carb on this mower, so do u think it could be that?
  8. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

Good advice