Kawasaki Engine problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by NkyLawncare, Oct 2, 2009.

1. GraZHopA

GraZHopA LawnSite Senior Member

Don't panic yet! Do as someone else said and take the spark plugs out. If you can turn the engine you are probably ok. If you can't turn it, then you may have a recoil start problem. This is fixable. If the recoil start is ok, then you probably have a big problem.

2. JayD

JayD LawnSite Silver Member

My dealer was just telling about Kaw having problems with the coils on the last two years models. Your dealer will more than likely know.

3. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Figure out what the problem is yet?

4. NkyLawncare

NkyLawncare LawnSite Member

Taking it to the dealer tomorrow. Will update this thread when I find out for sure what it is. I did pull the plugs and was able to crank it after that. I spoke with Snapper who referred me to Kawasaki who in turn wouldn't talk to me because I wasn't a dealer. I'm taking it to my dealer tomorrow.

5. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

I just had both ignition modules replaced on my 1 year old (200-300 hrs) 17 hp KAWI. They were both weak, the engine would run on either plug, but it was weak and would vapor lock so that I had to pull a plug to release the pressure. It sounds like your are having the same problems that I had.

Joe

6. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Get an inline spark tester or two, they come in very handy. If it's under warranty, let the dealer handle it but, learn from these things because it won't always be under warranty and the dealer charges are high. Lawnsite is great for that because there's not much that we can't figure out. Tony

7. ricky86

ricky86 LawnSite Bronze Member

Did the pressure come out the plug hole when you removed it?

8. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

Yes. It would relieve the pressure and start & run on the one plug.
    Joe