Kawasaki Engine Problems

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by lawncare3, Nov 28, 2002.

1. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

:confused: Can someone please tell me if I can put a starter on a 14hp kawi engine easily and for under $75.00 I also have one more question do any of you have a snapper 48" hydro wb model SPLH140KW with that engine size? I was wondering what kind of hydro oil to use the guy I bought it from was kinda mean and just said mobil1 and hung up THANKYOU for any feedback-chris;)

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you find an old Kawasaki engine that you can get parts off of then yes, you can put a starter on a Kawasaki for under $75.00. You're going to need:

1. Wiring harness
    2. Charging coil
    3. Flywheel with charging coil magnets
    4. Battery
    5. Battery tray
    6. Starter switch
    7. Starter

All in all this will probably only run you in the neighborhood of 4 or 5 hundred dollars if you're lucky.

3. lawncare3

Do you think it's worth it if I only spent $500.00 for the mower w/the engine in the first place?

4. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

It's not worth it to me. 2 pulls on the rope and mine is started.

5. lawncare3

richard,
    THANKYOU-chris

6. little green guy

little green guy LawnSite Senior Member

i would stick with the recoil, there's less to go wrong. On small engines electric starters are just more of a pain than there worth. Definitly not if it's gonna cost 500 bucks and thats all you even paid for the machine.

7. lawncare3

How do I fix the recoil start the spring is broke is that easy?

8. Mr.Wrench

Mr.Wrench LawnSite Member
    from N.H.

I'd stick with the recoil, Kawi's start fairly easy in warm weather. If your pull starting it in cold weather I would run 5w30 oil in temperatures below 40 degrees.

9. alpha lawn guy

alpha lawn guy LawnSite Member

Since we are in the snapper unit here, I am considering buying a Snapper splh140kw 48" 18hp Kawi. I currently have all residential business but want to expand into commercial.
    I found this machine for $500 but needs a carb. Does anyone recommend this purchase.