1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki engine question - horsepower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by IHusky, Aug 31, 2007.

1. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

My Scag dealer told me that the Kaw 19 hp and 21 hp are basically the same block and its the carburetor that gives them more power. Is this true? He says he can put a different carb on my 19 and it will give it more hp.
  2. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Seems like I have read or heard this somewhere before. I'm interested in the responses as well. If it turns out to be a carb change, then I'm all for that. I have a 19hp kaw and would def go for the extra power.
  3. IHusky

IHusky LawnSite Senior Member

This is off topic, but All Toro 4ME, what is the going rate for 1 acre residental with about normal trimming in Ok City.
  4. Grass Happens

Grass Happens LawnSite Senior Member

hmm, I know the pre-kai 15-17 and maybe 19's were all the same block, and had same stroke, bore and compression. Best part is that on some of them, the carb was the same too! they had the same mikuni(?) part number for the carb casting, but diffrent kawi part numbers, which led us to think they were simply jetted diffrently. Kinda the smae with the 23s and 25s.
  5. traman

traman LawnSite Senior Member

the way i understand it ,its just a backing plate behind the carb.all you need to do is just move it ,and it will make the venturi size larger ,letting more air flow == more power. someone in the mechanics forum should know
  6. All_Toro_4ME

All_Toro_4ME LawnSite Bronze Member

Assuming its flat, no obstacles/junk in yard, smooth mowing, then nothing less then $75. takes about 35-40 mins. 1 acre properties go anywhere from $75-$120 acre. Depending on if its mowed bi-weekly as opposed to tri-weekly, the tri-weekly mowing would cost greater due to more growth. Also, if there are ditches out in front of the house, where Im unable to use the Z on, then the price is higher as well. What about your area?
  7. lawnmaniac883

lawnmaniac883 LawnSite Silver Member

This is true, the engine specs on the 19 and 21 are identical, the only difference is the carb. They just dump more fuel into the 21.
  8. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just checked...the 17HP and 19HP have same Bore, stroke and displacement. The 21HP is actually different. Going to pull carb on mine sometime to see if it has some kind of restrictor plate. The maximum torque between the 2 engines is almost identical at 36.2 and 36.6...so it appears to me save your money and get 17 instead.
  9. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Just looked at parts diagram and all parts appear to be the same...valves and cam are the same, both engines have the same part number for the insulator (The only logical part I saw to restrict performace) Carb jets are also same part number. Where is Kawasaki getting this 2 extra horsepower?

You cannot simply just "dump" more fuel into and engine to get more power...the air fuel mixture has to be proportionate, besides, dumping more fuel would require larger jets and a larger carb and the parts are the same.
  10. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic