1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki engine repair

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gw.stroud, Nov 26, 2012.

1. gw.stroud

gw.stroud LawnSite Member

I have a FH430V-BSO4. I reringed it last winter. It ran for > 30 hrs. and started smoking again. I plan to rering it again. Is there an oil pump system ? If so, is it the rotar pumps ( part #s 16154 & 16154A ) ? Or what else could I be looking at ?

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Gw....if you got about 30 hours out of a rebuild...don't know how to break it to you...but...
    You either missed something..or made some mistakes...should have gotten a minimum of 500 hrs...
    Could be something simple like a leaking headgasket..???
    Do a leakdown test...check the condition of your sparkplugs...

A lot of people rebuild one engine....few build more than 10..I stopped counting at 200...

3. gw.stroud

Piston Slapper, thanks for your response. I probably missed something. Could have nicked the gasket or ???? Will try your recomenditions. Thanks again.

4. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Make sure the carb didn't flood and fill up the crankcase with fuel...check your oil level...
    That would make it smoke...check the easy stuff first..

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

If you have to go back into it, Mic your cylinder bores..... Did you check ring end gaps before re-assembly ?

Deglaze/re-crosshatch the bores ?

There is a 0.5" over-sized ring set you can get if the bores worn over standard but less than total over-sized reject......

6. gw.stroud

7. teckjohn

teckjohn LawnSite Senior Member

If so it will eat the rings quick.

8. Restrorob

[​IMG]

;)

9. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Its 0.50mm over. They need to be used with the matching oversized pistons and the block needs to be bored. Its about 0.020" over

10. Restrorob

Thanks for the clarification on a 2+ month old post pugsy.....Musta been one of my bad hair days..... Thumbs Up