Kawasaki Engine Series

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by morgaj1, Apr 17, 2010.

1. fredmullegun

fredmullegun LawnSite Senior Member

2. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

I follow the site and I don't interprete the way you did. I see different sizes engine and/or V twins etc. I did see FJ180 without vs FJ180 KAI with oil filter.

3. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

My point exactly. The description is ambiguous and open to interpretation. I wish they would put a chart showing the different engine series and the differences. It would also be helpful if they labeled the series with consumer applications.

4. Alan0354

Alan0354 LawnSite Platinum Member

Maybe they are all commercial quality. For example, they don't have anything for 21" wb mower other than the commercial FJ180 KAI. For that, it has cast lining and all, it is a true commercial engine. I don't know of anything consummer quality Kawi engine used in consummer products. All the bigger mowers uses Kawi are commercial mowers. They don't seems to be like Honda that have the GC engine for consummer and GX for pros.

5. morgaj1

morgaj1 LawnSite Senior Member

That's a good point. Even the FR691V (listed as consumer by Kawasaki) that is on my father-in-law's Husqvarna lawn tractor has the same piston and heads as the FX691V on my Gravely ZTR.

6. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

Somebody recently told me what the KAI is for, but I cant recall what it was now?

7. mjschue

mjschue LawnSite Member
    from mn

When I recently attended a Kawasaki service school they told us all Kawi engines were of the same quality block, rods, pistons. The main differences were charging systems and accessories. I.E. air filters etc.

8. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ

Mike, What is said here is what I would call heavy duty. Mike, this is what I'd consider a heavy duty air filter http://www.kawpowr.com/engines/detail.aspx?id=46&cat_id=5

9. MikeKle

MikeKle LawnSite Platinum Member

That is what I consider heavy duty too. but since my FH580V has the piece of foam wrapped around the paper filter, maybe that qualifies it to be called heavy duty? I didnt know they put canister air filters on engines smaller than 19hp either? That one was a 16hp.

10. Lazer_Z

Lazer_Z LawnSite Silver Member
    from NJ