Kawasaki Engine swap options?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by rob7233, Apr 20, 2006.

1. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 1994 Snapper 36" Hydro walkbehind, model # PMHA 7364 / 7360 in great overall shape. The previous owner apparently too good care of it and did the PM as needed. Over the last two years I've noticed a slight loss of power when cutting. There is no way to know how many hours are on the Kaw 14hp engine (FC420v-DS09) > no meter. I probably need to have a compression test done to it and it's not smoking. What I'd like to consider is perhaps replacing the engine with some thing that's bigger / more power. What would fit and work with this machine ????!! I use it to get in backyards and I like the control setup and don't know if I want to lay down $3500 - $4500 for a new one. Also by changing to a different/bigger engine, what kind of problems would I run into with routing throttle cables, exhaust etc. Can anyone give me advise on this ?

Most shop people have told me to keep with the original model engine but even then there are some differences. If that's the way to go then, what version(s) of the KAW FC420v would be a straight up swap without complications? Is there anywhere else I can get good info on this?

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

OK Rob, I done some checking. The FC540 17hp is in the same family with the same controls ect. but is only shown in electric start. If you go to another engine model number the controls ect. will be different. The easiest way to re-power your unit is with a replacement FC420, Below is the replacement engine spec. and it also list the parts you may need to swap from your old engine to the new one.

Attached Files:

3. rob7233

rob7233 LawnSite Senior Member

Thanks RestroRob,
    I sure would like the 17hp though. Would it come with a recoil also? Bypass electric start...?? Would there be issues with the coil from the 17hp??

In addition, someone told me that Kawasaki is no longer making the Fc420v series and that it may not be available (something about the EPA??). Where might I still be able to get one at a good price? I would likely need it shipped to me.

4. totallawncare912

totallawncare912 LawnSite Member

I say pull the compression on it and probably buy a rebuild kit for it maybe pistons and rings and maybe a cylinder couldnt be more then a few hundred bucks or 1000.00 or more for a new engine :eek:P

5. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

I checked and found Kaw. has no 14 hp with that spec. in stock, I really don't know where you could find one. The 17 hp is electric start only. You would have to add a battery and electric start wire harness for this one to work. They have a 17 here; http://www.smallenginewarehouse.com/product.asp?PN=FC540V-JS16-01 I don't know that you could install your recoil start assembly on the 17 or not
    That would mean more checking.

6. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I would put on a Kohler 15HP it will cost around $600 and there will be minimal wiring changes. I would NOT get anything bigger than 15HP and try to start it with rope starter they are simply too hard....we tried an 18HP and took it back off.

7. PFHunter

PFHunter LawnSite Member

If you're interested, I've got a Kawasaki FH series 17 HP engine off of an Exmark walkbehind with manual blade engagement. It does not have an electric start. The engine only has 485 hours on it. It is in good shape. I don't have a use for it, so I'd sell it pretty reasonably. PM me if you're interested.