Kawasaki engine troubles

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by JKBGroundkping, Oct 27, 2006.

1. JKBGroundkping

JKBGroundkping LawnSite Member

Hi everyone,

I have a 13hp Kawasaki motor on a 36" walkbehind Exmark 04' model. This was my first year using this unit, I used it for a month when one day I was 3/4 the way through a lawn when the engine started revving. I continued mowing, by time I finished the lawn, the motor was sputtering, and the only way to smooth it out was to pull out the choke. The day next day i went out and it worked just fine. Three weeks later, i get the same problem. I asked the dealer and he said it was a governor issue b/c of the revving. i asked a friend and he told me its just carb. issues(which is what i think) What do you guys think?
    jared

2. newz7151

newz7151 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Tejas

I guess I would go with what your friend says instead of the dealer who makes his living selling and servicing power equipment. (if your friend has any mechanical background then ignore my response)

3. pugs

pugs LawnSite Gold Member

Sounds like carb issues. If the choke smooths it out its not getting enough fuel. If the choke has no affect then it may be governor related.

4. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

Does it have a fuel pump. Have seen that before. Could not see any pinholes in either diaphragm holding them up to the sun, but a fuel pump repair kit fixed it. Also a pinhole in a fuel hose will make an engine have good days and bad days, and unstable revs.

5. noseha

noseha LawnSite Senior Member
    from MI

ya,start there and go to the carb clean it, change fuel fiter what about the gas. look at the plugs. I would do that before going to the dealer

6. johnwon

johnwon LawnSite Senior Member

The govenor couldn't have anything to do with it...they can't even run our country. LOL!! Sorry for the joke, I couldn't help myself.

7. JKBGroundkping

JKBGroundkping LawnSite Member

thanks for your replies,
    I replaced the air and fuel filters, and cleaned out the carb. as best as i know how. Found some junk in the carb. bowl. It seems to be running fine now(fingers crossed). Thanks for the help.