Kawasaki engines BAD?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bluegrass Lawn Service, Feb 21, 2003.

1. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I'm looking for information that someone out there might have. To start with, I recommended to a close friend to buy a Dixie Chopper and he did late last fall. After about 10 - 15 hours the motor does a high rev. and engine over heats. Dixie won't stand behind the unit and Kawasaki won't either. Say it's operator error. This is not a commercial cutter. Just residential mower. I was told at a meeting by other cutters that Kawasaki had several engines recalled. If that's true I need serial numbers or I can give the one on this engine. Have any of you had this or any other trouble with Kaw engines? Please Help.

2. PR0 TURF

PR0 TURF LawnSite Bronze Member

What type of engine is it that your talking about...what HP etc???
    We've got a 17hp with no problems...been running good for 3 years now.
    :blob4:

3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

I have kawis from 12.5 hp to 23hp and haven't had but 1 problem. The kawis make extremely good torque.

4. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

some of the 23Hp had a short dip stick it run low on oil the code was A in the ser #

5. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Haven't had any trouble with my 17hp KAW (FH500V) on my eXmark. It almost has about 300 hours on it now. So far its been the most reliable engine I've bought.

6. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like ya got yourself a lemon. Not Kawasakis fault, those are some darn good engines. Never had a problem with mine.

:cool:

7. Swampbeast

Swampbeast LawnSite Senior Member

Sounds like ya got yourself a lemon. Not Kawasakis fault, most reliable engine I have, (except my Powerstroke of course) never a problem. Lots of torque! I like it for plowing through the really tall grass.

:cool:

8. 1grnlwn

1grnlwn LawnSite Bronze Member

Sounds like he got himself a lemon. AND IT IS KAWASAKI'S FAULT. There is no reason they should not stand behind there product. It should be under warranty. Well thought out letters to the right people can do wonders. Tell them that you know they have a great rep and would not like to see there product tarnished. Especially on the inter-net. Keep at it. If you really did nothing wrong, don't give up. I really don't see why this would not be a Dixie warranty prob. Start there and work your way up.

Mark

9. Creative Lawn Care

Creative Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

I have a 1999 model JD GS75 walk behind with a 17hp Kawasaki on it. The engine blew, yes blew as in busted out the side of the block with only 35 hours on it. JD replaced the engine. The second engine did not even last a whole day. This time it drove the piston rod through the side of the engine of course blowing all the oil out in a very nice yard. Again JD replaced the engine. This one has over 600 hours and no problems. I guess overall they are good engines but all manufactures have some lemons and they should stand behind thier products.

10. Bluegrass Lawn Service

Bluegrass Lawn Service LawnSite Member

I'm not exactly sure but I believe it's a 25 horse. And I do believe they should stand behind it. The owner however has talked with them about the problem with no avail. To make this matter worst. The engine hasn't been torn down at all. The dealer just took it off the mower and it's still altogether. Their decision to was made over the phone. The rub with me is I recommend products to friends from my experience with them. From 6 years in the business and 5 commercial mowers. I to have 14 and 17 horse kaw. on walkbehinds. This deal however is not right. You wouldn't like it, I don't like it and the poor guy that bought the unit doesn't like it. This engine is less than 15 hours.