Kawasaki engines?

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by jason r., Dec 13, 2002.

1. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

Trying to decide between a TTHP 36" 15 KAW or a TTHP 48" 17 KAW.
    Already have a Lazer Z HP 44" 17 KAW.
    Will have both within 3 years just trying to decide which to get first.
    Will the 4817 have as good of cut as the 3615 with respect to the amount of HP to inches of cut?
    Do the 15 and 17 KAWI's have interchangeable maintenance parts... such as fuel filters,oil filters,air filters,plugs,etc.?
    Thanks for any input!
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jason r.

Thanks for the post. It's always a tough call determining which machine to purchase. What I may feel is best may not be what someone else likes. It all kinda comes down to your personal taste.

Here's my opinion. The 44" you've already got will go just about anywhere that a 48" walk behind will go with the exception of hills. A riding mower generally does not hold a hill as well as a walk behind mower. Your walk behind mower will probably spend much of its life as a trim mower and getting into gated areas that your 44" won't fit. Unless youÂ’re looking for a walk behind to mow some large hills that your 44" won't hold I'd recommend looking at the 36" model. Again it comes down to preference and the types of jobs you have.

The 36" floating deck will surprise you in terms of quality of cut. Some even like it better than the 44/48". You should really demo one and determine for yourself how you like the quality of cut.

The 15 and 17 Kaw are virtually identical. Nearly all parts are identical between these two engines with the exception of the carburetor. Both are good engines if you maintain the air filter and install it properly.

Please let me know if you have any further questions or comments.

3. MTR

MTR LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Florida

Hi, reading this post and couldn't help saying something about the deck size. I assume you have lot of experience on WB, so I just say I would go for 36" for good. It is the most "agile" and "versatile" deck, period. Especially, you are on hydro, it rocks!, cutting circles around tree, edge, bushes, and not feeling clumsy like 48 or the massive 52 WB. You will be amazed how fast and smooth a 36" with sulky cut gated backyards in minutes. I am really in love with my 36" Metro (will keep as long as I am in this biz) but will additionally acquire a Lazer Z Hp as the ultimate machine later, the WB should be just 36", light yet least fatigued and very competent of all WB. Thanks for reading, just personal experience.

4. jason r.

jason r. LawnSite Senior Member

thanks for the info
    i think i'm going with the 36"first and in another year or so i'll get a 48"or 52". the bigger deck w/b will be used mostly on 3 big props that i have. i'd be able to run it in the open areas while a helper can run my lazer hp in the wooded areas around the houses. the 36" would be my primary mower in the summer time in all my small props. the lazer hp is my primary mower for all of this right now and i love the thing but in many situations it's to small (only 44" w/ 17 hp) or it's just to big for alot of my small props. just trying to get the right equipment for the jobs i have and also concentrating on in the future. thanks again!
  5. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

Jason r.

Sounds like a pretty good plan to me. It looks like you've thought it through well I can't argue with your logic.

Good luck