Kawasaki Engines

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by jhawk71, Feb 20, 2003.

1. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

I have a scag 36" belt drive with a 15 hp kawasaki. I have had no problems with it except when put it in low throttle. It cuts in and out and a couple of times it has died!! Does anyone have this problem. If so is there anything i can do?

Most of you are probally like why does it matter, because you never cut with low rpm's. But i would like to know if I am the only one having this problem. Also it only has about 85 hrs on it and i was a little concered. By the way when i put in high throttle for mowing it does fine.

Thanks for your help!
    Jhawk71

2. J&R

J&R LawnSite Senior Member

It could be the RPMs are to low. the throttle cable might need to be adjusted.

3. jhawk71

jhawk71 LawnSite Member

Ok thanks I check it out. Anyone else have a input.
    Jhawk71

4. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have had this problem too, It shuts off in tall grass (48" hydro 14hp) It will do this because the rpm's are too low and it doesen't have enough power to run both the grass and the belts ( not my saying but, the mechanic @ the shop) I have had these problems too but, mine is VERY old (95')

5. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have to 15hp kawasaki engines. The throttle gets out of adjustment very easily. It has gotten to the point where I check and adjust the cables each time I change oil.

6. Haley Lawn Care

Haley Lawn Care LawnSite Member
    from NC

I have a mower with a 17 hp twin. Are they not designed the same? If so then i would need to check the linkage the same as your 15 right? I am wondering because this my first mower with kawasaki. My other mowers have kohlers.

Thanks David

7. Mark P

Mark P LawnSite Senior Member

I purchased a new scag 17hp Kaw last season and mine was a little out of adjustment, adjust the cabel and no more problems, I run doubles and i can take off 3 to 4 inches with no problem, so far so good hope i get the hrs that i get with my Kohlers.....Marks Mowing Service

8. Lawn Dog2001

Lawn Dog2001 LawnSite Bronze Member

Yes they are designed the same. The adjustment is underneath the air cleaner.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Kawi's are known for this.

Throttle cable on one of my 23hp's on a 61"WB has to be adjusted once a month or so cause it won't close the choke all the way for cold starting.

10. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

When I bought my 23 Kawi 1.5 years ago, I noted it would backfire alot when shutting down whether throttled up or down. Eventually this resulted in blue smoke when starting. Took it back and dealer opened up, could not find a problem. Still did it and took back during off season. Replaced motor with new one and been fine with new motor.