1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Kawasaki/ExMark FB460V again

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by ascensius, May 24, 2006.

1. ascensius

ascensius LawnSite Member

Hi. I found this great site, and found the PDF of the workshop manual and the Kaw site for part nos.

After this winter, I tried to start the 48 inch exmark. wouldn't go. I tore into things. I am getting fuel. No spark.

I checked the magnet on the flywheel. Got a good attraction at one inch from a wrench.

I checked ohms at the core to plug, and from Primary terminal to core. measured right at spec.

I then measured ohms at the "ignitor" (control Unit) and they do not match the workshop manual. I get 65 ohms (case to terminal, manual states 10 to 40) and I get 600 ohms at terminal to case, manual states 4.0 to 3.0.

So . . . question one, is, do I need an exciter to actually run this engine, or will it run without it?
    Question 2, is the ignitor bad? Is there another check I should make on this engine?

thanks a million. I have already ordered an ignitor, but I'd love to cancel the order if this is no tthe right thing to do.

2. ascensius

ascensius LawnSite Member

PS. checking the ignitor I was using a RX1 ohm scale.
  3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Go ahead and replace the igniter, That should take care of your problem.