Kawasaki fb 460 pouring gas into cylinder

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by taxidermist, Aug 18, 2011.

1. taxidermist

taxidermist LawnSite Member

I have a exmark metro with a Kaw fb460. I have cleaned the carb in my ultrasonic cleaner. I have replaced the needle. I hook up the fuel line and watch gas pour into the carb from the center venturie (sp?) I can flip over the carb and blow thru the fuel line and the needle seals fine. I have never seen this problem before and I am stumped. I can add more fuel line and loop it to slow the flow down but then it acts like it starves for fuel.

Rob

2. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

The float might not be floating....Bad float?
    Bowl vent might have an obstruction.
    Fuel cap not venting?

You really need a pressure gauge...Not only do you look funny blowing into the carb,
    You really dont get an accurate diagnosis.

3. taxidermist

Dont worry I made sure no one was looking! LOL. Cap vent ok float floats good no holes. I still have to check vent. I will check that when i get home. It might be plugged as I have not seen any fuel come out of it while having this problem.

Rob

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Hold the carb up side down and check float adjustment, I actually raise "A" slightly higher than parallel to assure the level doesn't go too high.....

[​IMG]

5. taxidermist

Thanks Rob,

Can I do this with the plastic float? Most of the time while working on the brass floats I do that. I just wasent sure on the plastic ones.

Rob

6. Restrorob

Well..... You said FB460, That's out of the FB460 Manual....

Maybe someone changed the carb at some point ?

Regardless, I have adjusted plastic floats by warming the area shown on each side with a hair dryer, Then bend it with needle nosed pliers and blow on it to cool..... But....Make sure no one is look'n Bahaha !

[​IMG]

7. piston slapper

piston slapper LawnSite Platinum Member

Heck with the patents....It may be time to write a book...
    TRADE SECRET #.............Good Stuff......Its Not In The Book....

8. taxidermist

Today I used some valve grinding compound and a q-tip and a drill and polished the seat. I then put it in water float side down and put a little air pressure with a bulb syringe and checked for bubbles. No bubbles so i installed the carb and it ran fine. I did find out they do not make this carb anymore so if your carb is bad your S.O.L.

Thanks for the help,
    Rob

9. Restrorob

Any time Rob, Glad you got it sorted out ! [​IMG]

Hey Slapper...... You may just be onto something here !!!!!

Hmmm...... "Restro's 101 ways to repair what's not in the book" ....... Whatcha think I could get per copy ??? payup