kawasaki fb460v eninge 12.5 hp Help

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by Natural Impressions, Oct 28, 2007.

1. Natural Impressions

Natural Impressions LawnSite Member

I have a 36" bobcat with a Kawasaki fb460v engine. If I let it sit over night without shutting off the gas tank the carburator builds up with a little gas. This causes the engine to have alot of trouble starting. At times i can't even pull the rope. Something seems to be getting clogged or air isn't being aloud in. Once I do get it started for that day is runs fine with no problems.. Can anyone help me fix this?? Thanks

2. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Carb is likely gummed up. Float is either sticking or sinking.

I've always made it a practice on my SCAG WB to shut the fuel off prior to loading on the trailer.

You could do this as a band-aid to get through the season.

3. Natural Impressions

That is what i have been doing but am hoping to correct this problem in the off season.
    I did pull the carb off and completely broke it down to blow it clean. Worked beautifully that day but 2 days later the problem came back.

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Replace the float needle valve.

5. 259 toro

259 toro LawnSite Member

The best you can do with that motor is trash it an get a new one that type motor su@ks. I had one on my walkbehind get raid of it.To much of a pain.

6. I MOW ALONE

I MOW ALONE LawnSite Bronze Member

you have to be kidding. i have had many of these engines on various machines and only had one problem with one of them and that was the exact same problem he is having. replaced float needle and problem was solved. in my opinion the single cylinder 460 kaw is one of the best engines out there.

7. Natural Impressions

I agree.... I have this enigine on 2 of my mowers ( one is my emergency spare) and I rarely have any problems. This problem is easy enough to fix...thank you RestroRob for your help....and less expensive then replacing the entire engine.

8. dubblet125

dubblet125 LawnSite Member

i have to agree with 259 toro i have that engine and after one season my valves and head gasket went. Havent had a problem since but my friend had the same engine and had the same problem then i saw one at my dealer and it was in for the same thing.

9. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Contradicting huh, If you agree with 259 Why do you still have one ???

10. dubblet125

dubblet125 LawnSite Member

I was agreeing that its not a good engine not agreeing to trash it. As i said i havent had any problems since but i still had to pay $250 for a repair after one season and it was my first year so i didnt even have 10 weekly lawns. But i obviously wouldnt get a different mower just because of the engine when the mower was brand new. I dont even think they put that engine on any mowers anymore but if i was looking at a new mower and it had that engine i would look for something else.