Kawasaki FB460V Govener issues

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by MasterTrim, Aug 26, 2006.

1. MasterTrim

MasterTrim LawnSite Member

I have this old walk behind that I'm tring to get going. I cleaned the carb and replaced gaskets and now when started engine races. Govener is hooked up but still races. Was told that there is possibly another component for the govener that may have failed? Any help appreciated.

Ken

2. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

Check your linkage as below, Make sure you put the linkage in the proper hole in the carb., Check your throttle control plate for hanging up. Then check the governor adjustment, If this unit didn't do this before you took the carb. off something must have been re-installed improperly, Just need to find out what.

Oh, Welcome to LawnSite

Good Luck

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

FB 460 Governor Adjustment.jpg

FB 460 High Speed Adjustment.jpg

3. MasterTrim

Thanks, great diagram, I'll go through it tonight.

4. Restrorob

Man, You must of been sitting there tappin your foot waiting for a reply. :laugh:

5. MasterTrim

No, I posted and then cut the grass and checked the thread.

Got it fixed tho! :clapping: Yaea! Found bolt for govener loose, followed your procedures and walla, fixed!

Mower has been sitting around for 3 years just now got around to doing something about it! Thanks

Now, all I need is some misc. parts, got a good site I can order from?

6. Restrorob

Glad to hear ya got her going, What kind of parts you looking for ?

7. MasterTrim

Lets see, I need drive belts, fuel cap, a Key, deck cover knobs, and possibly a new re-coil, it feels as if there isn't much life left.

8. Restrorob

OK, I have a on-line parts store for Kawasaki parts but they have no parts look-up, You would need part numbers to enter for purchase (which I could look-up for you). There are two recoil Assemblies listed for your FB 460, I would need the spec. number off your engine to look-up the proper one. One is $105.00 and the other is $ 111.00
    Yours may need nothing more than new rope and re-wound to get it working properly again, If you need instructions on that just shout.

As for the other parts I need model AND serial numbers off the unit.

9. MasterTrim

Well, maybe I'll hold off on replacing the re-coil and just see how long it will hold out. Instructions to re-do would be great for the future.

As for the model # XM4803, Serial # 002556

10. Restrorob

OOOOOOK, I don't recognize that model number so what brand is it. :hammerhead:

Remove the recoil from the engine and place it up-side down on a bench, Have laying close by a lighter to burn the rope to keep it from fraying, A new piece of #5 1/2 recoil rope about 6 or 7 foot long with both ends burnt to reduce fraying and a pair of wire cutters.

Pull the old rope all the way out then hold the plastic pulley with one hand so it doesn't pull the rope back in, Now with your free hand take the wire cutters and pull the knot up from the center of the pulley and cut the knot off the end.
    Then pull the old rope out of the housing. Now grab the housing with your free hand and rotate the pulley counterclockwise as far as it will go without forcing it, If the hole in the pulley doesn't line up with the hole in the housing back the pulley off just enough to align the holes. Now while holding the pulley again with one hand take the other and feed the new rope through both the housing and pulley holes and tie a knot in the end.
    Grab the rope now and hold taunt at the housing and remove your hand from the pulley grabbing the housing. Now let the pulley wind up all the rope it wants, When full there should be some still sticking out.

At this point pull about 3 to 4 inches back out and mark it up close to the housing then pull out a couple more foot and tie a slip knot in it up close to the housing, Now cut the excess rope at the mark and install your handle.
    Once the handle is on snatch the rope to pop the slip knot loose and let all the rope back in. Spray some Fluid Film or like lubricating oil in the center of the pulley between the housing and pull the rope a few times to work it into the spring and re-install the assembly.

I coulda done 4 of these in the time it took me to type it all out. :dizzy:

I would recommend going ahead and doing this to possibly reduce any extra wear to the dogs or spring.